Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whaddya think about trading up from the Dub to one of these?
Vote for Option A/B 540/528 or for NWBAPBITBMW "Not worth being a pretentious bastard in the BMW" or "PB" for short.

OPTION A: '98 BMW 540i 123k w/Dinan chip, wheels, coils/springs,

OPTION B: '99 BMW 528i 93k w/sport pkg, local (no ship)

·
Registered
171 Posts
A is nice, but you've got to be a brave soul to buy a bimmer with 120k+ miles. The price would definitely have to be right.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Do you want performance or do you want decent mileage? Option A looks nice, but how much has it been beat on?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I looked at 2 540i 6 speeds before the W8. Both had around 80K and both blew a little oil smoke on start up. Sign of worn valve seals.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My father drives an OPTION B and it is a slick car- no question that's what I would be driving if there were no such thing as a Passat. But I'd personally go for OPTION A with the OPTION B wheels- I love those things.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Can't you make your own decisions?

Must be a woman.
^^Nice. Not a woman though, and the 6 speed in option A keeps the woman from driving it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A little more info on them: Both have complete service records, A is a 2nd owner and is meticulous inside and out, no doubt the guy is anal retentive to his car care. B is a one owner and extremely nice inside as well.

I'm glad I asked because I'm not sold on A's wheels but the first to go off B's would be the wheels. To me they're the most fugly bimmer wheels. Also, B is drawing me towards the grandpa side while A says, hey I still have a 300HP beating heart and kids, er... kid on the way. I dunno. Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Personally I'd say A all the way, but you got to wonder about that chip + 123k miles. 'Chip' to me says that somebody's been riding that horse pretty hard.

Love the 5-series though, especially pre-Bangle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts