Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make it a New Year's surprise, but the suspense is killing me. On Monday 12/28, I'm trading in my 05 1.8t Passat wagon. In its stead I'll be piloting ...

An 05 Passat wagon. This one, however, will be an oil burner. I found one just up the road from me with under 48k miles for a very reasonable price. Other than a small change or two, this will remain very stock for a very long time. Way more stock than Derek's ride.

Small change #1: 300 lb-ft of torque
Small change #2: tinted windows

Likely to keep the stock ride height for a while. Certainly not going to drop it in the middle of winter. Not again.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
are you parting out or anything or just trading in whole hog?

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I'm not stripping is the suspension. Wheels & StLB5 enclosure have been pulled off and are available. (Sport Edition 16" - nothing special.) Not much else to pull off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Make sure you listen for oil pump chain noise and inspect for camshaft wear. After seeing many TDI of this engine generation with camshaft wear, I suggest 5w-40. The mileage sounds low enough so that it shouldn't have wear. Some have also had the oil pumps fail. There is some controversy on what percent will fail but it's definitely a probably that more than a few people have had. It's a little more work at timing belt time to remove the oil pan and put in the new pump but if you want to keep the car forever this should make it bulletproof. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/b5/newPassatcheckB5.htm Here is a checklist for new owners, catchup maintenance, "how to" lists, and quirks, specifically for the b5 TDI.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do my own oil changes. I completely forgot about the location of the TDI oil filter. Oh joy of joys! No more cutting/burning the chit out of my hand on the various engine bay bits as I reach under the 1.8 lump to unscrew my oil filter!

I leave in 5 min to get the car.

Yay!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts