Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait to see how you respond to this thread...

Its my whole reasoning to buy an SUV....

My parents bought a 2000 Mercedes ML320 for $20,000 at a local dealer... good deal.. 54k, Navi, Bose, Leather, Power all, sunroof, and $1800 running boards... sweet looking car... mercedes silver, AWD.

They hate it. My mom is short and my Dad is a terrible driver as it is anyway...they want to sell it.

I have always liked my passat, its been fun and all, but dealing with VW for the first 2 years of owning it so many times, has always left a bad taste for this car... I have modded it up about as much as I can without going too extreme and I am bored now... this SUV is pretty sweet...drives great.

So I have been thinking of selling my Passat and buying their Mercedes.

What do you think?

Here are the figures I worked out....

CAR COST DIFFERENCES:

Bought Passat for cash (no loan on car) and then taking on their loan of 22k minus passat cash = rest of their loan (approx 6-7k) over 4 years of payments = about $154 a month to pay for it.

GAS COST DIFFERENCES:

Mercedes is 16 / 20 mpg
My Passat is about 19 / 26 (real world)

I drive 50 miles a day (on average)

Mercedes:

Averaging 15 mpg on my daily commute with the Mercedes, it would take 3.3 gallons of gas that = $7.59 a day based on $2.30 a gallon.

Passat:

Averaging 22 mpg on the same commute, the Passat would take 2.3 gallons of gas that = $5.29 a day based on $2.30 a gallon.

So the Mercedes would cost me $2.30 more per day in gas.

Thats $70 more per month in gas to drive the Mercedes SUV.

Add $154 for loan payement and it would cost me $224 total per month.

IN SUMMARY:

Okay, $224 a month to pay for a car... I think $224 is not too much to pay to have a sweet car that is a lot more practical for me and my dogs... and I am planning on buying a kayak soon, so it would be nice to have this car for that too.

Or I could keep my passat for 4 years and save over $11,000 to put towards a better car 4 years from now?

·
Registered
336 Posts
have you inquired about insurance-that will probably change as well. But leaving money out of it, which one do you think will be more fun to drive for the next few (or more) years?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have riden in one and was not overly impressed by the fact it was Mercedes, but it seemed to exhibit decent manners on the freeway. However, if it fits the bill for what you need in transportation and is something you can swing financially, go for it.

You will get a lot of people here that will bitch about you owning an SUV when there are several uberwagons and mini-vans available that could better suit your needs for cargo. Be prepared...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I did a bit of research for friends that were looking at getting the ML320.
In 2002 it underwent a facelift and significant updates to the interior amongst other things. So my advice was to go for a 2002 model.

Apart from that if you're happy with the way it drives and feels and it suits your lifestyle - thats more important.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Personally, I would not be smitten by the nametag because this generation of ML320 has a horrible reputation for poor build quality, poor fit and finish and overall as being an overpriced piece of shit that looks like a mini-van. If you're interested in something bigger than your Passat than I would look towards something more reliable, put together better and that's not going to cost a car payment PLUS a repair bill every month.

If it were me, I would drive that Passat into the GROUND because car payments are a total waste of money. Just think of all the cool crap you could buy for that $250 per month or better yet - make $250 per month payments to yourself and buy something big and cool after a few months.

Just my 2 cents but I'm sure one of the Mercedes guys could tell you what a waste this gen of ML320 was.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes, those ML 320's are real reasonable for a reason; it's not that great a car.
Electrical issues I heard. You didn't say if you had any coverage on the MB, extended warrantee or what ever.

Mr Sullie is correct. Maintenance is going to get you on that as the car ages.

Now if it was a 2000 Lexus Rx300 ?? I know, the Rx is the Honda Accord of the new millenium, but those are nice sleds. Not a gully wamper (neither is the 320 by the way) but a nice big sled.

Good luck. (my passat is going for a slightly used Rx300 this fall).

·
Registered
103 Posts
You will probably have higher maint. costs with the MB as the above have stated due to esp electrical problems.

You only state that you drive 50miles a day and no other uses. Maybe you should move to something with better mileage than your Passat. If you do towing the MB is pretty good with a ladder frame rather than unibody.

Driving my parental units 1999 ML320 is okay, but it is hard to get enthusiastic about it. It seems sluggish and I just never feel inclined about pushing in in the corners like I do in the Passat.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Kosmas said:
I did a bit of research for friends that were looking at getting the ML320.
In 2002 it underwent a facelift and significant updates to the interior amongst other things. So my advice was to go for a 2002 model.

Apart from that if you're happy with the way it drives and feels and it suits your lifestyle - thats more important.
here's a 2000

and a 2002

where are the significant updates to the interior?
but yeah the 2002 models are better, but i'd re-check your ML prices to see if you can get a better car for the same money (newer ML320, 430, etc.) including out of state as bay area prices are higher than other places.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The reliability mainly electronics is the issue. I know people where their ML just dies an the MB road service shows up with a hammer to tap on the fuel pump to get it started, etc. Also another where it just dies and won;t do a thing and the best one is a wife of a co-worker with an ML and the lift gate window goes up and down on it's own. :weirdo:

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
pacent said:
Can't wait to hear what VWGUY4EVER has to say about this :lol:
He already has ... at Vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1552010
Thanks... Saved me a lot more typing... :lol:

BTW, do you like how much pedal travel the brakes have ??? The most common complaint. Most people feel they have a bad master cylinder it goes so close to the floor... :crazy:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
(I don't like the barf icon.) :)

Anyway, I've read that reliability may be a little spotty, but I think you can't go too far wrong with it.
And it does have that big three-pointed Star if you like the prestige....

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Der Meister said:
(I don't like the barf icon.) :)

Anyway, I've read that reliability may be a little spotty, but I think you can't go too far wrong with it.
And it does have that big three-pointed Star if you like the prestige....
:shock: :shock:
Did you not read what I posted on Vortex ?!?!? Alow me to cut & paste it for you...

Reliability improved after 2002 but still far from stellar. Power steering line will blow off the cooler - actually a recall on that. ML430/ML500 brakes squeal like crazy especially in cold weather. Drivers seat trim panels crack/break. Sound insulation falls inside the doors & roof leaving a black glue-like substance on the glass. Happens about every 2 years.... lol. BAS/ESP codes - mostly due to brake light switches. Power window switch fails - almost always the drivers window on models prior to 2002. Center bearings on the rear drive shaft. Cooling fan harness - blows fuses and a/c not terribly cold at low speeds. Beware crank pulley.dampner can seperate on high mileage units - $2500 if it (and usually does) take out the upper & lower oil pans, timing cover and belt tensioner...

Agreed 2002 was a turning point but they're still far from stellar. Mechanicals are really no different from the 1998 intro, save for a different transfer case to get rid of the binding in low speed turns. The ML350 is simply a punched out 3.2ltr, it's not a new engine. The interior still rattles, the glove box door hinges still break, the evaporator drains still clog with ease. All that really happened in 2002 was some interior & exterior freshening up. There were no "real" mechanical differences. Sun roof deflectors still fly off, door lock actuators still go bad, BOSE sound systems still create headaches,engines burn oil at,to me, unacceptable levels....

Mind you now, these aren't just random things I saw over 4 years. These things almost in total happened to nearly every ML that went across my desk...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't get the MB, there are better SUV's out there. Just because it's an MB, doesn't make it a great SUV. I think you may be getting caught up in the name game. Do some more research about reliability and such. MB and SUV's in general are expensive to fix and I'm pretty sure that MB is out of warranty unless it's been certified.

I just traded my Passat in for a 2004 Honda Pilot and although we love the Pilot, I miss Passat. The fit, finish, and feel of the Passat is above that of the Pilot. Honda is known for fit and finish, but ever since they starting building cars in America that has gone downhill in my opinion. Kinda like the VW cars that are built in Germany versus Mexico. I tried to get a T-Reg, but cost was an issue and reliability. The T-Regs are still working out the bugs.

good luck in whatever you choose. Did you ever think about getting an avant? That would fit your situation pretty good, especially an avant quattro. You can probably find a 2002 or 2003 model for $22k.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.