Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 70,000 miles of reliable motoring I'm trading it in for a Saab. No more will I be subjected to a harsh ride, loud road noise and floppy cornering. However, I will miss the precise steering and how fast it sprints past 65 mph in 5th gear. Anyone here own a newer Saab?

P.S. I still own the Passat and probably always will :heart:

UPDATE:

So my plans changed and I ended up spending a little more for a better car with a much better deal. Tonight I bought a 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid. After three days of negotiations I got the deal I wanted. I'll post more details later.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
You want reliablitlity and went to Saab?! HUGE mistake. Ask me how I know. We have a standing bi-monthly appointment with our dealership. The only saving grace is that we have warranty coverage to 100K. And don't even get me going on depreciation. The value of these things drops faster than a $2 hooker's panties on a Friday night.

Anyone wanting a "lovely" 9-3 Vector PM me.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
After 70,000 miles of reliable motoring I'm trading it in for a Saab. No more will I be subjected to a harsh ride, loud road noise and floppy cornering. However, I will miss the precise steering and how fast it sprints past 65 mph in 5th gear. Anyone here own a newer Saab?

P.S. I still own the Passat and probably always will :heart:
The 9-3 has floppy suspension! I've ridden/driven three 9-3's from 2003 to 2006 extensively and they all have a mushy ride.

Enjoy your new car though but don't buy it for the suspension.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully the bugs have been worked out over the past couple of years. I've heard of a few electrical issues while searching around the Internet. Nothing is written in stone yet until Saturday.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Hopefully the bugs have been worked out over the past couple of years. I've heard of a few electrical issues while searching around the Internet. Nothing is written in stone yet until Saturday.
Oh and all three of the cars have had both HID ballasts go bad twice. My buddies used one was NOT under warranty and he is taking a bath on it.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
The materials, particularly interior, cannot be described as anything other than absolute shit. All from the GM parts bin. I've seen much better on significantly less expensive cars.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I'll say this about the 9-3, it's a GREAT highway cruiser. My girlfriend's 03 9-3 Linear (first year of the new body style) cruises effortlessly on the highway at 80 and gets 34 mpg on regular unleaded.

Now to the bad. Everything else about the vehicle pretty much blows. It rattles, creaks, groans, noises come and go, it's always got one of those annoying creaks that's 6 inches from your ear and cannot be solved. Her car has had so much warranty work it's not even funny. Luckily, none of it was major mechanical stuff but the suspension, from day 1 sucked. I've had all the shocks and struts replaced, the sway bar links greased and the suspension sounds like shit. I think the thing has hollow floor boards and zero sound insulation around the wheel wells. I've never heard a car with such noisy disc brakes and suspension noises.

Buyer beware...

edit: all this on a car that has about 27000 miles and spends the majority of Monday through Thursday parked at the airport.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
That being said, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the newly redesigned 9-3. And the free service (the three free oil changes and one tire rotation, which I had to bicker for) and warranty was always handled with minimal hassle.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The materials, particularly interior, cannot be described as anything other than absolute shit. All from the GM parts bin. I've seen much better on significantly less expensive cars.
Id hafta agree with you on that one. I think the older saabs had appeal, but the new ones drive and feel like a rebadged impala. Seriously, there are so much better choices out there for the $. I'd happily take a camcord over any saab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts