Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start ripping things apart under the hood, are there any short cuts for tracking down leaks???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers use propane, waft it around the vacuum lines and somewhere you get an increase in revs. There be your leak. :lol:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If they haven't been replaced it's certainly not a bad idea. Just replace one at a time. Make sure you can figure out where each end is at and pull it off and pop on a new one.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Typically the ones on the top of the engine fail first. Typically, a vacuum line fail will eventually get bad enough that it will trigger a fuel trim related diagnostic trouble code. At least that's what happened on my AEB. The small vacuum hose can be purchased for relatively cheap. I recommend staying away from the fabric braided OEM stuff. It is too expensive and it doesn't last long, especially in dry/hot environments. I had to replace my first set of 3mm vacuum lines at the two year mark. I've got silicone hose on there now.

-Mark

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
If your car is out of warranty, just start replacing the stock braided vaccum lines (if that is what you have). You could spend a lot of time and aggrevation on diagnostics, but vaccum line is cheap, and you are going to need to do it sooner or later anyway.

A forum search should turn up several sources for quality line.

SirWired

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.