1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So I have an '08 Passat VR6 which comes with a tire-pressure monitoring system (I think all '08s do). I found this on oempl.us and was confused why my car doesn't already have it.

http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_21_48&products_id=779

Any thoughts? I assume it is on all the time so I'm not sure why you'd need the switch.
In the US, the TPMS system is an active system. That means the sensors are always transmitting the pressure and the antenna is always picking up that signal.

In the ROW (Rest of the world) cars it is a passive system that is figured out through the ABS system. There is no TPMS module constantly monitoring the pressure. So if one tire gets low, it drags that wheel down a little bit slowing it down. Through the ABS magic, it determines it is a TPMS problem triggering the light.

Once you fill the tire back up, the light does not automatically reset as it does on our cars. So you have to press that button to reset it.

(Atleast that is the way I remember it. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me)

[email protected]
1-800-808-5000 Extension 2763
Contact me anytime from Monday through Thursday 10a - 7pm Pacific for a 25% discount on almost all parts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In the US, the TPMS system is an active system. That means the sensors are always transmitting the pressure and the antenna is always picking up that signal.

In the ROW (Rest of the world) cars it is a passive system that is figured out through the ABS system. There is no TPMS module constantly monitoring the pressure. So if one tire gets low, it drags that wheel down a little bit slowing it down. Through the ABS magic, it determines it is a TPMS problem triggering the light.

Once you fill the tire back up, the light does not automatically reset as it does on our cars. So you have to press that button to reset it.

(Atleast that is the way I remember it. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me)
confirmed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts