Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I see a Camry......Celica....well most Toyotas.....the piping on the exhaust looks plain redicules.

It looks like the pipe is draging on the ground...and just makes the back of the car looks terrible.

Why Toyota why???? Figured they would've fixed it over last 10 years....

Between that and the styling.....Toyota gets a big :thumbdow:

Same goes for Lexus ES300.....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I also noticed too that many exhausts on Toyotas hang really low, but i think this garage fukui exhaust for the mr2 is the one of the sweetest ones made for any car.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Everytime I see a Camry......Celica....well most Toyotas.....the piping on the exhaust looks plain redicules.

It looks like the pipe is draging on the ground...and just makes the back of the car looks terrible.

Yeah! I have thought the same for years. It looks cheap, or like it has broken loose, from the rear. It's not cool to see the whole exhaust.

I agree it is especially unforgivable on the Lexus version. You would think a little addition to the lower rear bumper would help hide it.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True....doesnt look like Toyota is willing to change this either.

Not like I would buy any of their currant products anyways....but thats because of the styling.

However that exhaust was a reason why I wouldnt even consider a Camry when I was buying a car......it was either Max or Passat.

And what a great decision I made!!!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
It looks like crap, but if I've said once I'll say it again - it works. I got 180k miles and 11 years on one of these stupid looking exhausts - that's a car that sat outside (no garage) all it's life with these salty ass Indiana roads. In fact, the front section of the exhaust is still original, it's just the tail pipe and muffler I replaced a couple of years ago.

My '96 Avalon had that dorky exhaust on it too - 94k miles (or so) on it - never touched it - I traded that car but it's probably got 120k miles by now on that same exhaust.

My '99 Camry also has that dorky exhaust - 5 years later - no complaints.

As a side note, I had a Ford Probe GT for 5 years - I replaced that entire exhaust system 3 times in 5 years - it looked great - sounded great but what a terrible design.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
passaturbonium said:
I didnt say anything about the quality of the exhaust.....just the looks.

BTW....110k on my wifes Previa....needs exhaust.
I know you didn't but I was just saying that even though it looks dorky it works, which is why they probably haven't changed the design. Previa? What year is that Previa? They haven't made those things for what 7 years now at least isn't it?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Previa is 92 :)

Well their cars also work....hech they work better and more reliably then most....doesnt mean they look good. :)
Hard to complain about 12 years though on that Previa exhaust! ;)

I agree with you though and I didn't say this before but I notice that dorky bend in the exhaust on the Camry (and 95-99 Avalon has that too) EVERY single time I see one too and I wonder to myself why they did that. Ah well. ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
yeah.. they work, even though they're ugly.

the Lexus ES300 and the Camry are the same car.

badge engineering and a $15K premium at its finest.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
TwoLitreVW said:
yeah.. they work, even though they're ugly.

the Lexus ES300 and the Camry are the same car.

badge engineering and a $15K premium at its finest.
Or it could be more sound insulation, a bunch more features (HID's ect..) and a different standard power train (3.3L -vs- 3.0L)

Not saying I would buy one, but there is more of a difference between the two then just badges, drive both and if will be obviouse.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Previa is 92 :)

Well their cars also work....hech they work better and more reliably then most....doesnt mean they look good. :)
like sullie said hard to complain about a 12 year old exhaust.

Thing is, you ask "why" the reason is practicality. LIke others have said, it may not look great, but it works (read: lasts) extremly well.

my self? 1994 Camry 140,000 miles completly original exhaust, still in excellent shape.

-Nick

·
Registered
49 Posts
My friend's 98' Camry exhaust used to bottom out on the smallest of bumps and dips, and this was with the factory ride height :nervous:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Toyota engineers:

"Well that just about does it."

"Hang on there, we forgot to route the exhaust!!!"

"Dang!! Well, just hang it under everything else. Nobody will know...."

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holicow said:
Toyota engineers:

That was year 1990....

Here is year 1995
Toyota engineers:

Year 2000

Toyota engineers:

Nothing has changed.... :lol:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
passaturbonium said:

That is funny you say that as I have wondered that myself. I see the new Camry and I swear they are going to drag over the speed bumps.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
87Aero said:
My friend's 98' Camry exhaust used to bottom out on the smallest of bumps and dips, and this was with the factory ride height :nervous:
yeah...one "bump", and the exhaust is on the ground...

ok, seriously though, i never had a problem with the exhaust bottoming out. on the other hand, my old Volvo did it every time i went up a steep driveway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing