Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I did the searches, but I can't find enough information on what I need. Apparently the search database doesn't extend far enough back for me to see all the topics that have covered this. I need a towing setup for my car that will allow me to pull my 3 seater PWC. When the PWC is full of fluids, she weighs right around 900lbs. I would believe the tounge weight is around 80lbs. I read about something called a Da'lan, but I couldn't get any pics of it. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
you should not have any problems as long as you don't load up the tongue with more than 10% of the total weigh and you have a real class 3 hitch :thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Dalan and Westfalia are the two most common hitches. The Dalan is a Class I and is good for 2000 pound trailer weight and 200 pound hitch weight as I recall. The Westfalia is a European hitch that is heavier duty and replaces the rear 5 mph bumper. Since it's from across the pond, I don't know that it has a Class rating, maybe comparable to a Class II. It does allow the Passat to tow more weight.

From looking at www.hitch-web.com it appears there are a few hitch choices for our cars but I haven't heard about any of the others.

Since the archives don't seem to be as searchable/accessible as they once were, maybe some folks can chime in with their hitch experiences. Has anybody had a Dalan or other Class I hitch pull out or deform the mounting area due to overloading?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've towed my empty (900#) 5' by 8' enclosed m/c trailer combined with 650# bike many times with my DaLan Hitch. It works like a champ, got it put on the week after taking delivery of my '99. Just bring a lot of $$$$ for gas. My mileage drops to 20 pullin the trailer. :p :p

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I go about purchasing a Dalan?? Any websites that have pretty good deals on them? BTW, thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
just to mention something from a fellow B5er with his tow experience that was cross country... After towing with a trailer (not sure of the weight) with his 1.8T he noticed his engine performance was never the same as it was before the tow.

I don't want to sound alarming, but I would take things in consideration.

I have the DeLan hitch for my bike rack, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not to worried about it......I have a little honda hatchback to get in for when I want to go REALLY fast, the passat has just become the cruising/hauling car. Can anyone link me to some websites.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RLKermit said:
you never did mention which B5 you are driving, it does make a differenc.
I know which B5 I am driving :wink: ....I have been around a LONG time on this forum and know the B5 passat inside and out. It was a pretty quick car in its "hayday", but I have since retired it from its duties as a performer.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think he asked so people can respond with helpful info pertaining to your B5 since the rear hitch styles do differ from 4 to 6 cy engines due to the fuel line or something in the rear setup....Also I would imagine the V6 doing better at towing as opposed to the turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"I've towed my empty (900#) 5' by 8' enclosed m/c trailer combined with 650# bike many times with my DaLan Hitch. It works like a champ, got it put on the week after taking delivery of my '99. Just bring a lot of $$$$ for gas. My mileage drops to 20 pullin the trailer. :p :p"

I am looking at a Passat Wagon TDI to haul one or two 250 dirt bikes about once a month, 500 miles RT, and occasionaly a small 14 ft boat down to the corner boat launch and for maintenance. i currentlt have a F150 SCrew, but I feel it is too much vehicle for what i need and the fuel mileage...bad.

I think with a 5 x 8 trailer, I would be PK for the biles and Home depot. Suggestions, or comments, please.

Thanks,

miguel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts