Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the real towing capacity of my 02 GLX 5-speed? I currently pull a SeaDoo w/ no problems (about 1000 lbs.) I would like to buy another pwc (Honda this time), with a double trailer. That would put me at about 1900 lbs total. Am I asking for trouble?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I believe that's right above the limit. It depends what year you have, but I think it's right around 1,800lbs.
You'll be fine pulling it, just don't bring anyone with you in your car. Make sure everything is running right (clean oil, tire pressure, etc.) and make sure your brakes have good life left to them.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Upgrading your brakes would be a wise step prior to doing this. Your engine should certainly be able to handle the strain, though it would be very sluggish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at a trailer w/ brakes, so I think that part will be ok. I'm a little worried about my clutch though. How strong is the clutch w/ the V6 ?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am not sure, I don't think you will run into any problems if you take it easy. The clutch on the 5-Speed should be able to take more loading than the Tiptronic

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The specified towing capacity - it's in the owner's manual. I was deciding installing a hitch to tow an A4 on a trailer at one point and figured out it was too much for my car to take for the combined weight (as the car can't be dally-towed).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
I am not sure, I don't think you will run into any problems if you take it easy. The clutch on the 5-Speed should be able to take more loading than the Tiptronic
Actually, I think that autos are better for towing as they reduce driveline shock.

I do tow with my 5 speed though.

1900 lbs is right at or over the limits for the passat. You should definitely use trailer brakes if you tow it at all. I have towed 2500 lbs, but it was only 20-30 MPH and only 5 miles. (it was a big piece of structural steel).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts