Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Passat with a 2.8 V6 for my daughters first car. I looked over the car and started it up. It runs so smooth you could place a glass of wine on the engine and not spill a drop. But I had a friend put it in gear while holding the brake and I saw something I have never seen in a car before and I was a mechanic for 15 years earlier in my life. When the car was put in gear the engine smoothly tilted down in the front. My first reaction was it was a broken motor mount. I have seen and replaced quite a few damaged motor mount in the past and the engine always has a shake to it and it jerks when the mount is broke. This motor still ran smooth. Does this engine have some type of mechanism that makes the engine tilt in the front like this or is it a broken moter mount and it just happens to run smoothly.
This may sound stupid, but like I said I am totally new to the volkswagon and have no idea if there is something like this.:

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
Welcome. I moved this into the proper area for you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
in the front of the engine near the bottom of the radiator support, centered(ish) on the engine is the snub mount. this mount is the front mount for the engine. i would look at that, however the engine would want to raise with axiel torque. ive got a 2000 with the V6, ill have to look at my engine and see what tricks it does. your other motor mounts are located underneith to the left and right sides of the engine mounted to aluminum brackets to the engine. they look like short fat cylinders connected with one bolt top and bottom. these need to be replaced when they bleed purple. hopefully someone more knowledged then i will chime in soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would also recommend having a look at the transmission mounts. That I know of, there are 5 mounts total in a Passat with the 1.8T or the V6(Don't know about the W8). Snub mount on the front of the engine which is comprised of a "pin" on the radiator support, a "cup" on the oil pan, and a special rubber thing that fills the space in between. Next, two fancy shmancy hydraulic bottles on either side, then two tradition rubber-bonded-to-metal mounts for the transmission.

My own passat seems to need new trans mounts, which I have ordered and are as I write this currently on the way. Even if they don't actually need to be done, I'm doing them any way, to see if it helps with the "CLANK!" I hear when I let the clutch in while going down the road. Shifting gears currently sounds like, "Rattle, SMACK!" from outside the car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry, but you will regret buying any German car for a first time driver...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Take it from this young person with a German car for his first :lol: 3 thousand dollars later and it's almost normal again :eek: I bought it for 5 thousand. It's a 2002 GLX. It now has 89,600 miles on it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
mine is the V6 also, 5 speed manual. i saved mine from the scrap yard, and i just put my 1000th dollar into it. if you can do a lot of the work yourself, and have access to a decent lot like seal says, they are a decent, yet time consuming, car. if i had someone else do the work, i would have put more money into the car than its worth a long time ago.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I had a friend put it in gear while holding the brake and I saw something I have never seen in a car before and I was a mechanic for 15 years earlier in my life. When the car was put in gear the engine smoothly tilted down in the front.
Are you sure that your friend didn't shift into Reverse? As noted, the reaction in Drive is to lift the front of the engine.

Despite all the warnings above about Passats, good reliable ones exist. As a mechanic in your earlier years, it shouldn't be too difficult to size this one up. However, some basic cautions are: "timing belt" maintenance should be either verified, or planned on. You'll also appreciate having a diagnostic scan cable and a computer with Ross-Tech's VAG-COM or VCDS to solve various electronic issues if and when they come up. And before letting your daughter head out with her friends, a full weekend of all the checks: brake pads, battery condition, filters, correct leaks, etc. Also, be sure the heater works well. These cars do have a tendency to plug the heater cores, and replacement is labor intensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are interested in performance modifications, consider the APR poly snub mount, its firmer than the original foam rubber part and makes the engine more "planted" I have it also with Audi RS4 motor mounts and your really notice the difference in the bendy bits, the weight of the engine stays with the car on tight corners, rather than moving all around

1 - 12 of 12 Posts