Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member here and I have a 2000 Passat GLX v6. I have been using OBDeleven and when I scanned my car I found a P1811 code that is labeled torque converter lock-up clutch. Under the description it reads, "Excessive temperature preliminary stage reached". This is very concerning to me and am afraid of a failing torque converter. The fault code is static and I've cleared many times and returns immediately. When I drive the car the converter locks up the same way it always has at about 20 mph and up. The only thing that seems odd is when i am cruising locked up and give it a little gas but not enough to unlock, the rpm raise slightly by 50-100rpm and then fall back down.

I am completely stumped, but this is killing me because I've searched the forum as well as google and cannot find anything specifically to Volkswagen. Any help/advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
From the general posts on this issue, it's a trans solenoid problem, not the TC itself. The closest codes for VW also relate to trans solenoids:
18221 P1813 Pressure Contr.Solenoid 1 Electrical
18222 P1814 Pressure Contr.Solenoid 1 Open/Short to Ground

It may be the solenoid related to locking the TC, but you would have to read into the trans repair writeups to see which one it is. Not sure about the excessive temp part as I don't think the trans will heat up much from a 50-100rpm flare. Mine did not when the TC was failing, the temp remained good. I don't have time to look for the Tiptronic rebuild writeups, but I know there is at least one on here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.