Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look under my car today while it was up on a lift, and I noticed that my wheel wells are VERY dirty... way too much for just brake dust. I looked at the CV boot, and sure enough, it is ripped :mad:. Anyone have suggestions to extend the life of it for now, I don't have the money to replace it right now. I know that it is connected to steering and power control. Is it something that should be replaced before I drive the car anymore? I don't want to lose steering control :nervous:. I have no idea how long it has been ripped, but I would imagine it has been for at least 2-3 k miles. There are noises that I will hear before the joint itself will self destruct and the bearing will fail right? I am not just going to randomly be driving down the street and have the engine fly into neutral and lose all steering control?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It wont kill your car if you drive it a mile or two, but get that baby in as soon as possible. Hopefully it will be covered under warrenty, if not it'll cost in the 100's to get it fixed at the dealer, try a private shop if you get to that point. I had this problem in the fall, major bummer. Don't worry about steering, I believe it houses the universal joint that connects to the wheel from the transmission, the boot keeps it clean and holds in all that grease..which is prolly all over your fender liner by now :lol: good luck!

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
If it has been bad for 1-2k,it probably has dirt in it by now,so replacement of the cv joint
is your best bet. It will last a long while until it actually fails and it will make plenty of noise
before it gets to that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you are interested in DIY, I just replaced my boot for about $12 , 2 hours, plus any tools you may need. Not a big deal. See http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74223&highlight= Shaft will run you about $100, and is easier to do than the boot. Probably 1-1.5. hours. If you have been running 2k on a split boot, your best best it to replace the joint. My philosophy is, if you hear no clicking when you are turning just replace the boot. If there is joint noise, damage is too great and the joint must be replaced.

Good Luck Mike.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no clicking while turning. I have no way of knowing how long the boot has been torn. I do know that my wheel has been dirty for some time now, so I can approximate the time by when I started to see the grease on the inside of my rims. I know for sure that the boot is torn, as far as the joint itself goes, I have no idea what the status on that is. I mearly realized that the boot was torn, and recalled that it held lubrication for the CV joint, which would fail without lubrication. I am sure that it has been torn for a LOT longer than a few miles. By best guess... I would say 1500 miles is a decent number. I am far from retarded when it comes from cars, but most of my experiance is purely second hand... I know stuff from reading, I don't have a lot of hands on experiance. For a novice would a CV boot/joint replacement be feasable? I already got a $300 quote from my dealer, who said the joint/bearing wouldn't need to be replaced until I started to hear noises from the turning. Right now I have a squeeling noise while driving, but I have almost confirmed that that is warped brake disks (noise leaves when I apply braking, and I have a medium shudder when braking from high speeds)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It is not horrific to drive on a torn boot. I had several torn boots that were pretty bad and I drove on them for awhile, since they are about $200.00 to replace. I don't have the right tools to replace that, so "yes" I paid the shop to do it :cry:

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can run a torn boot for a while, if makes noise replace.

I have driven several different VW's and they all tore boots. If you have more than a few miles on the torn boot you should clean out the joint and replace the boot. Takes about 2-3 hours depending upon your skill. It is not a BIG deal, just sort of messy. You can disassemble the joint to clean every last spec of dust, but if you do not need to that, don't.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you get a clicking, its covered under your powertrain warranty. I had mine done in the fall, service guy didn't even realize until I pointed it out to him in my manual.

hth
big byrd

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I haven't yet. I am going to wait until 40,000 miles and get it done with the rest of my maintainance for 40k. I also need an oil change sometime soon, and some camshaft work (Seals).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi VWPassatGLX155,

If you have the time to spare (a few hours), replacing the boot isn't a difficult job, and the cost savings are substantial. The advantage is that you'll be able to take a direct look at the joint and see if it needs to be replaced - if there is only minor damage, it's often localized to one edge of each bearing race (the edge bearing the forward load), and you can simply swap the driver and passenger side joints. This places the main forward load on the pristine edges of the joints, and is a lasting repair, unless the boot is torn again. Cheers for symmetrical parts. :)

You can find a repair procedure at:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/cvjoints.html

Good luck,
Nikhil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts