Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a torn CV boot on the front passenger side (joint still OK: no clicking noise). Called an independent shop; got two quotes: to replace just the boot = $180; to replace the whole axle (with remanufactured one) = 280. The car is 2002 1.8T with 50,000 miles. What would you recommend I go for? I would like to keep the car for as long as I can.... Thanks!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You do NOT want to replace the axle with a "generic" reman one. Talk to the shop and find out if the reman axle has a new joint (ala Raxles) or a reground one, (ala Pep Boys). Depending on the engine code, you may be able to source a cheap new axle. What engine do you have?

SirWired

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did inquire about the source of an axle and was told it could come from a variety of sources: the most probable one would be a rebuilt axle taken from the car found in the junk yard… I am not sure if the shop will take an effort to investigate the precise source of the part. All I know for now they would have to order it from Chicago. The guy I spoke to said that for the price difference he would recommend a whole axle, particularly if I intend to keep the car for a long time.

The engine is 1.8.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
whole new axle. Part is more expensive, but you save in labor, vice saving money on a rebuild kit, but paying more in labor.

·
Registered
835 Posts
A torn boot is a common issue with our B5s.
If there are no noises then just replace the boot. If the joint is gone then replace the axle - but dont jump to conclusion that a torn boot needs an axle replacement!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just noticed a torn CV boot on the front passenger side (joint still OK: no clicking noise). Called an independent shop; got two quotes: to replace just the boot = $180; to replace the whole axle (with remanufactured one) = 280. The car is 2002 1.8T with 50,000 miles. What would you recommend I go for? I would like to keep the car for as long as I can.... Thanks!
Hey Pinecone, thanks for inadvertantly letting me know the costs associated with replacing the whole axle. I'm worse off than you as both of my joints are "CLICKING". Dzieki.

·
Registered
294 Posts
replace just the boot

i just went through this nightmare on my sons car.
the cv axles that are between 1oo-200 dollars are not worth the money, they dont even compare to the oem part. if it is just a boot tear it apart clean good and regrease and replace the boot my sons car axles have 167000 miles on them and looked great other than the boots. you get what you pay for if you go cheap aftermartket.:poke:

·
Registered
294 Posts
axles

what i meant in the above post on nightmare i put the cheap axles on and they didnt fit exactly and the drivers side broke 18 miles later. after a lot of downtime i finally just did the oem axle boots and grease and i am very pleased with that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Don't replace with a cheap reman axle...only replace with a new which will run you $220-240 for the part. Otherwise just do the boot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody for an input. Your comments confirm my reservations about getting a remanufactured axle. For know I am going with just a boot replacement BUT the mechanic is going to perform an assessment of the joint to see how it looks. Of course, they cannot guarantee anything… go figure. However, if – based on his assessment – the joint will qualify for a replacement, we will talk about getting a new axle, and if so, I will inquire about the cost for a brand new OEM replacement. For now, let’s hope the joint is all right!

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you replace the boot only, Thoroughly wash the joint in solvent until spotless and regrease, otherwise the dirt that got in the split boot will act as a grinding compound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am taking my car in for the same thing tomorrow. My CPO warranty covered the whole thing. If you have a CPO you might want to check with the dealer to see if it is covered.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I only did the boot the two times that this happened to mine. A good shop will fulfil their requirements and inform you of the options but not gouge you on excessive parts if they are not really needed. That's why I *never* let anyone like Pep-boys, Meineke or Johnny on the Spot Fast Lube recommend work. I say, "thanks Johnny but get off me beotch!" and take it to my man.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It is hit or miss with aftermarket axles. Most of them are solid shafts where OEM are hollow. Cheap aftermarkets can fail early and cause vibrations. Raxels rebuilds the OEM's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts