Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Passat is the nicest car I've owned, and I'm not the best at taking good care of my cars. I want to take good care of this car so I can drive it for many years to come, but, I'm lazy and easily let things slip. So, thought it'd be nice to have a list to follow of the most important things to do in terms of maintenance and driving habits to adopt as regular practice, ranked in order of importance with the most important at the top.
Here's the updated list considering all responses so far:

1. Oil change on time
2. Don't rev over 3000 RPM's while engine is cold
3. Run the right gas, 91 octane for some, 87 for others
4. Follow filter, fluid change, and other maintenance intervals in the manual to the "T"
5. Polish and wax at least twice a year to remove oxidants, residue and swirl marks, and to keep the finish looking new.
6. Clean the interior regularly, and get fully detailed twice a year.
7. Be very selective on where you park.
8. In a turbo, after "spirited" driving, ease back your last few minutes and let the turbo "cool down" before you shut the car off.
9. Wash whenever dirty, and anytime a bird drops a bomb on the paint.
10. Touch up ANY paint chips within a week
11. Avoid pot holes
12. Wash undercarriage at least 2x per year.

What is your suggested list? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
7. After "spirited" driving, ease back your last few minutes and let the turbo "cool down" for a couple of minutes before you shut the car off. (N/A for V6s and W8s)

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
The 1st 4 should be change your oil. After that,keep an eye on everything else.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
1. Follow the maintanence schedule and have sythetic oli changes every 5k.
2. Wash your car regularly, especially in the winter time where tons of salt and chemicals are sprayed on roads (hand washing is the best).
3. Polish and wax at least twice a year to remove oxidants, residue and swirl marks, and to keep the finish looking new.
4. Clean the interior regularly. This includes wiping the leather with a damp cloth once a week (with an application of leather creme at least twice a year). This will prevent the leather from cracking or wrinkling and make the interior looking and smelling new.
5. Be very selective on where you park. There are lots of assholes out there who don't give a shit about your car. I always choose a parking space with lots of room, not next to SUVs, minivans, and old beaters. At grocery or department stores I sometimes park at the furthest spot so it doesn't become a victim of an abandoned shopping cart.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
aowhaus said:
At grocery or department stores I sometimes park at the furthest spot so it doesn't become a victim of an abandoned shopping cart.
ahhh...so you're that guy in the VW commercial :p

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
aowhaus said:
At grocery or department stores I sometimes park at the furthest spot so it doesn't become a victim of an abandoned shopping cart.
Their are a lot of us that are like this here and that includels me. :lol:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Flippped said:
D.Passat00 said:
aowhaus said:
Their are a lot of us that are like this here and that includels me. :lol:
I second that motion. I also don't put any opinionated bumper stickers on my car out of fear that somenoe who disagrees with me will mess with my ride. :nervous:

...I'd rather just tell them to their face anyway than have them read it. :wink:

·
Registered
556 Posts
What do you guys recommend as the best protectant to put on the dash? I don't want something with a shiny or glossy finish. I just want the slight fade to go away and to bring back that dark black look again.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
4MyPassat said:
What do you guys recommend as the best protectant to put on the dash? I don't want something with a shiny or glossy finish. I just want the slight fade to go away and to bring back that dark black look again.
Meguiars makes an interior treatment called "Natural Shine" that does this job well. I also highly recommend Black Jack's "Somethin Else", not sure if they produce it anymore though. Alot of people use Lexol, which does an adequate job as well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
SDPassatT said:
I second that motion. I also don't put any opinionated bumper stickers on my car out of fear that somenoe who disagrees with me will mess with my ride. :nervous:

...I'd rather just tell them to their face anyway than have them read it. :wink:

I wouldn't even think of putting a bumper sticker on my paint, anyway... :wink:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Change all fluids on time, every time...
Take it wasy on a cold engine, nothing above 3,000 RPM until the temp comes up.
Never rev an unloaded engine past 3,000 RPM
Run the right gas, for some cars that will be 87, for others 91+
Wax at least 2x per year including the rims, if not 4.
Wash whenever dirty, and anytime a bird drops a bomb on the paint.
Wash undercarriage at least 2x per year.
Thoroughly detail the whole car at least 2x per year, that means get out the detailing brushes, and get into every crack & crevice.
Touch up ANY paint chips within a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
StormChaser404
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing