Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i went to pick up my rents from the airport. While idling along getting up to the terminal i noticed that every time i came to a stop my car would loose a couple hundred RPM's then recover but give me a second of high vibration in the process. Then this morning when i first started the car and it was at its 1200RPM warm up point i had the radio off and the car idled smoothly then i noticed i could hear it kinda drop and recover again. So i figured it was probably just a vacuum hose somewhere that has a tear or somethin but when i ran my VAG-COM i got a code for being too rich!!! could a vacuum hose cause u to run too rich cause i thought it'd make it run lean :???: if not a vac hose any other ideas???

here is the code:

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 906 018 BQ
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0003
Software Coding: 16501
Work Shop Code: WSC 03310
1 Fault Found:
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx i'll try cleanin the TB and i do need to check my hoses bad cause i think i've been havin a boost leak anywayz......so u think vac hoses could cause a too rich mixture???

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Alot of things could cause it....

I would deffinetely change the little hoses that come of the intake manifold (ribbed ones)...those are garbage!

And take a look at your DV while you at it, one of them goes to the DV.

Make sure you pic up the hoses first before you go to VW for clamps....you want those to be a very nice slip fit.

Also if you have a VAG....cant you do A/F ratio test??? I would do that also....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
In order of diagnosis from the Bentley:

Check FPR and residual pressure
Check O2 sensor (pre and post)
Check injector for proper quantity/injection and leaks
Check EVAP purge regulator (on top of airbox)
Check MAF sensor (could be dirty).

Could be a vacuum hose too though.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I had my car in the dealer to do a diagnostic. While it was there, they replaced a vaccum hose due to a recall. It was the secondary air valve hose. I don't think that's it though. I have a '99 V6 Passat.

How about the mass airflow sensor? That may cause it to run rich if it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I would try replacing the short vacuum hose between the manifold and the FPR first. It won't take you more than 5 minutes. Get some 5/32" hose from napa.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great guys thanks i'll try some vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would check the spark plug in bank one to and re-evaluate if you see rich condition on the plug.

If system is running rich, wouldn't you see similar codes from other banks too?

It could well be MAF/O2 sensor/vac hoses, but spark plugs will be quickest way to check.

Is it possible to get a rich code from a worned out plugs?

LOL, I'm asking more questions then help you with answers.....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll check the plugs then. The plugs are Denso and about 10K old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts