Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive got a 99 Passat and im looking for some better audio. The thing is there is SO many products out there and combinations that i have no idea what to get. Ive got a $1000 to spend, and I was wondering what you guys would suggest. Im most interested in the sub and amp combo that you think would be best.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
why only focus on subs? if you want that 1000 to replace everything and get you a new hu (head unit) that is what we need to know.... when you say most interested is that all you want to end up with? and are you willing to buy pre-owned? ive scored some ultra super deals with pre-owned stuff (thanks QS) and it all worked great and still does.....oddly enough only the stuff i bought bnib from dealers has ever failed me.

will you install it yourself? whos building your box? how many subs of what size do you want? do you want it LOUD or good or both?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
DEFFINITELY go with a PhatBox.
i was at PZ's garage day and one of the people there showed me theirs.

VERY nice interface. has a speach system so you can tell who you're listening to, sorts by alphabetical band name, or playlist as well...
WAy too many features, but a freaking awesome device.
(also, don't buy it from VW, get it from another distributor. VW charges $200 for it and you can get it for lower)

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
i would go pioneer and ipod adapter if you have an ipod,i have it and its perfect, or look at omnifi dmp1 i had that and it was great too..

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
im on the monthy program so dont be afraid to spread it out over a few months to get what you want.....

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
im on the monthy program so dont be afraid to spread it out over a few months to get what you want.....
Do not listen to Guy, Paul (quality_sound) or Fred. While they may know their stuff, they will also gently coerce you into spending all of your time and money building a monstrous sound machine. Before you know it, you'll be broke and living inside your stereo ...that used to be your car.

I believe that the general concensus is that a new headunit is the single best upgrade you can undertake. It improves the quality of the sound immediately and (potentially) allows you to add on an auxilliary mp3 player, hook up a sub/amp combo, play DVDs (results may vary), play mp3-encoded discs (again, depends on the HU) and so on.

Just read through the forum and get some ideas. Price a few things out and - most important - take everything for a test listen. Bring a disc or two full of music that you listen to on a regular basis, plug it in and rock on. That'll give you the best indicator of what you like and dislike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts