Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Too fast! Best current radar detector?

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Josh-man 
#1 ·
My 2003 W8 is going to get me in trouble. It is so powerful and quiet I often find myself unintentionally exceeding the speed limit by a bunch! I was accelerating to pass a car on an uphill two lane and looked down to see 110! Are there any qualified opinions on what is the best updated detector on the market, both wired and cordless? A couple of years ago I saw comments praising the Valentine features and quality.

#4 ·
What do you guys think about the K40 remote??? I'm in the market.

#6 ·
the k40 remote is ok.
My father has been sold on them for 10 years or so...2 acura's with them and he loves them. Combined with the k40 laser jammer, its even better.

I run the valentine one, with the k40 jammer. Its the best set up I think.

I allways lke the k40 remote, until; I got my V1. Now i get in my dads car, and hear all those false readings, and i remember why i bought the V1

make the correct choice, get the Valentine one and if you like the remote look, get the V1 version of the concealed display. It sits very nice on the steering column, and the red lighst match your trip computer perfectly.

Just my .02cents..

velentineone.com

#7 ·
I've heard nothing but +++ regarding the V1! I love the stealth install capabilities of the K40. I really don't care for the obtrusive displays and wish I could incorporate the V1 into my rearview mirror somehow (I know it can be done but the unit itself still requires windshield mounting)...oh well. I guess I would rather have quality.....for much less. I'll need to hardwire. Any other options? I'm almost sold. Also, that remote display is nice...by itself but if you have a unit mounted to your windshield - be it in the top right corner or whatever, what's the use?

Hope I haven't HJ this thread...figured it's all good.

steve

#8 ·
The biggest problem with remote mounting is that people want to hide the detector itself in the grill or bumper which severely limits the units effectiveness. You can't have it both ways. Gor for form or function, but in the case of radar detectors, you can't have both.

Paul :thumbup:

#9 ·
SAVELLA
The concealed mount of the k4 LOOKS clean, and it is for sure. Its not as effective being under the bumper or in teh grill though, and you have NO rear radar detection. The directional detection has saved my ass many times, say, when a cop is comming up on your from behind with his "pace" radar on. You have nothing with the k40 when it comes to that.

The windsheld mount is actually not as annoying as I originally though, and to be honest, i dont even notice it. It sits butted up against the mirror, and doesnt move. Its hardwired, and you see no cord. The sunvisor on the passanger side comes down id say 80 to 90 percent..enought to allways block the sun. You just cant flip it up flush with the winchsheild.

as for detection with the visor down, it has no effect on the signal or reception. I get the identicle signals from behind me with or without th visor down.

Ill stop preaching, but I gota say I have had some real practicle expericne with BOTH detectors, and you know which one I bought.

ps. free software upgrades rule! :thumbup:

#10 ·
V1 gets an A+ for function. The K40 does provide dual detection (they offer a K40 2000 w/ front and rear sensors). I drive somewhat hard but am trying to convince myself that the K40 will be enough for my needs and I love the stealth install. Is the K40 that bad or do you guys think it will do the trick. I haven't had a ticket in over 4 years and don't drive like a madman.

thanks again

steve

#12 ·
Man, it sounds like you have already made up your mind. ( that is, for the K40 and not the V1)

Basically, when I purchase something this expencive, I have to give it a good run through as well. BUT, i also try to do things the correct way first. I have learned many times the hard way, trying to cut corners..you pay in the end.

To answer your questions... YES the k40 works. It will alert you of radar, and I see now about the rear detection. I guess its your call. You could take hundreds of peoples word for it that the V1 is phenominal, but in the end its your choice. I would just hate to see you try to save yourself a few bucks, and then be stuck with something that goes off at every other CVS because of thier automatic door system, or state liquor stores because of the KENO antenna's. Once you hardwire that k40, its yours. ITS WAYYY more of a pain in the ass to uninstall it if you dont like it.

if it were me ( and remember it WAS a few years back), I would say go with what everyone says is a great solid product. I dont drive like a mad man either, BUT it has saved my ass many times.
joshman

#15 ·
About how much do these Radar Dectectors cost? As a get more money, the car will start to get faster and I would prefer to stay from speeding tickets!

#16 ·
Here's the thing - the only thing I like about the K40 is its stealthiness. The K40 is about $500 more installed. I know the V1 is an outstanding product. To an extent, I am sold on the K40 but do prefer to do things right the 1st time....which is why I frequent this club....decisions decisions.

steve :crazy:

#17 ·
Ok Ok Ok. I surrender. I'll go witht the V1. I know I'll be pleased. Thanks guys1....again.

steve

#19 ·
Hey paul, thought you may get a kick out of this... I was speaking from someone from V1 a few months back, just doing my 6 month check in to see if im due for an upgrade ( which you can now do online by the way with your serial no.)

anyway, the rep, who had been with the company since day 1 told me the sounds that the detector makes actually mimiks a USAF figher plane ( i cant remember which one he said specifically) He said they took many many hours of sound "clips" from different area of the cockpit and chose them for the sounds the detector makes.

so now everytime I get "locked on" by a bogey and hear that solid tone, i kinda feel like im Maverick getting locked up by the MIG22, LOL

just a good tid bit of info for you fellow V1 junky :lol:

#23 ·
Just keep in mind that the best radar detectors won't protect you against instant-on. My buddy bought a v1, and was speeding along on the interstate, when a cop coming in the opposite direction clocked him with instant on, busted a U turn, and handed him a ticket.

#24 ·
Well, somethings you just cant get by.

"instant on", as you call it is VERY VERY expencive. If you think about it, for a vehicle traveling one way, to have radar "pointing"( and i use the term pointing VERY loosely) one direction, and traveling one direction, while clocking an oncomming target...There are a lot of variables there.

The radar system is so expencive because it has to be tied into the vehicles speedo, ECU and a bunch of other things as well, to actually be able to calculate the speed in which a vehicle is comming at you, while you are moving towards it.

Most Police depts use a passive ( pulse) radar..meaning that it emits a radar signal while they are sitting still ( and cant calculate when your moving). Its up to the officers discresion exactly what vehicle in the pack was traveling the fastest. The display in the cruiser flashes number after number, and again its the officers call who was traveling at how fast. Not accurate at all, unless you are alone, what they call the sitting duck. These units are cheap, disposable and you can get a unit in ever car for under 300 bucks.

Laser, as we know has to be used while sitting still...same idea here, but 100% accurate. There is 2 foot diameter the laser can clock...so when clocking you get the "that exact vehilce was traveleing this fast". There is no debating, unless of course the law decides to fib.

Most larger dept.'s, including Boston have dedicated traffic units. All day long, its moving violations and parking tix. These vehicles tend to be more equipt than a patrol car. Infact here in Boston 99% of our cruisers dont have radar. No time, no money for radar. Often the mobile units ( motorcycle) will radar, but need to use a laser just in essence of size. It can easily be put in the saddle bags and carried around. Watch out for dedicated traffic units though. They will have multiple radar units, working different ways an dcan pretty ,mcuh clock you how ever they want to.

The state police in some states have more money than they know what to do with..watch out. Often times they can get you however they want, from whatever direction, moving or stopped.

Just a Lil info for you guys..most likely, if a small town cop cites you for speeding while he was comming your direction, you can put a up a decent fight in court. Ask what type of radar he was using, and if it fits any of the above criteria. You may just find out, he really just "thought" you were going fast, when in reality, he had no way to truly know.

it pays ( well, in this case you wont have to) to be well versed in radar. Save your ass in court, and save you those points on your insurance and licence.

just fyi..Josh

some good sites related
http://www.beattraffictickets.com/?OVRAW=speed traps&OVKEY=speed trap&OVMTC=standard

for your next road trip..if your using a GPS, you can set these locations as icons, or even way points on your software, so you know when your approcaching
http://www.speedtrap.org/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.