Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time since 1989, tomorrow we get a closeup look at a planet/planetoid for the first time. This won't happen again until we visit another solar system.
New Horizons Will Arrive At Pluto Tomorrow! | IFLScience

The view from 1 million miles and tomorrow it will pass at 7,000 miles:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
to add to what Jeff said, that 7000 mile pass? it's about the distance of the diameter of our very own planet Earth. that's incredibly close in astronomical terms, especially when you consider how far it is from Earth now - about 3.5 billion miles!

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
I thought we were calling this thing a 'Dwarf Planet'? I wish they would make their minds up.
Still a planet in my eyes, pretty impressive that we can hit that thing for 3.5 billion miles away.
I can hardly hit my mouth with my coffee cup.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I just hope it's inhabited by a life form intelligent enough to have developed a society. Then we can teach them their gods don't actually exist and they crawled out of some magic soup that appeared spontaneously and was hit with lightning.
Updated to reflect the new church ideology.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't care what anybody says - Pluto is a planet, plain and simple. There are nine planets in our solar system, not eight! (Well, ten, if you want to count Eris - and maybe we should.)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Just because I like to argue:
One of things that I think makes "dwarf planet" more appropriate than "planet" is the fact that the center of mass of the Pluto/Charon system is outside the radius of Pluto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts