Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty much set on getting the set of a/d/s/'s, until I saw the CDT Eurosports on sale @ thezeb.com. $539.99 w/ a 5 year warranty. I think CDT's crossover is even more ridiculous than the 346is crossover, which is hard to believe. Any inputs and ideas? There's nowhere I can listen to CDT's locally, so I'm gonna have to go with everyone else's input on this one... :nervous:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I've opened a can of worms....any opinions on the Soundstream Exact series? Decent crossovers, and good sensitivity. Not to mention that they're like 1/2 the price of the a/d/s/'s I'm lookin' at. :D

Since I've gone this far, how about the Focal Utopia 165 W's? Some claim its avaiable for under $500 online... I need to get my ass to a local store. :weirdo:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont know about the others you mentioned b/c I havent had any experience with them...But please dont buy a set of utopias and put them in your doors. They wont work right and they wont sound right. You'll really be wasting your money if you do that, because the cheaper ones will perform better in that situation. The new polykevlar series that comes with the TN52 tweeter are awesome, and probably a better choice if you go with focal. I have heard good things about cdt and a/d/s though, so I'd say go listen to all of them. I just had to throw that part about the utopias in there because I dont think that any salesman is gonna try to steer you away from them if you are interested in getting them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
stealth, the CDT Eurosports are a nice component set. I had them in my car and loved thenm thoroughly. Very musical and involving. About 4 months ago, I purchased and install a set of SEAS Lotus performance and I still long for the Eurosports. Will get it reinstalled once I have the opportunity.

The SEAS are nice too but I have found them a little clinical for my liking. Hope this helps. BTW, the passives does a great job. Had a friend installed it in an active install, but I still liked mine when I did it with the passives. YUMMY.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, Cap'n...that kinda puts me back in the realm of the real world. :wink:

I use my deadpedal much too much to sacrafice it for a set of kicks...so maybe this vision I have is better off placed in another car which I don't plan on flogging every weekend. On the same token, the a/d/s/ 346is probably shouldn't be subjected to my door mounting locations in the same respect. Thanks for the guiding light! :)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The CDTs are actually designed to go into doors (part of their whole "controlled dispersion" technology, hence , CDT) so that may influence your decision some.
a/d/s/ speakers work well in doors so thay'd be a good choice.

I haven't heard the new Exacts (anything after the sale of the company) but the original Exacts are some of my absolute favorites.

To really confuse you, the Image Dynamics Chameleons and Alpine SPX-177As are phenomenal sets as well.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
CaptainMorgan said:
I dont know about the others you mentioned b/c I havent had any experience with them...But please dont buy a set of utopias and put them in your doors. They wont work right and they wont sound right. You'll really be wasting your money if you do that, because the cheaper ones will perform better in that situation. The new polykevlar series that comes with the TN52 tweeter are awesome, and probably a better choice if you go with focal. I have heard good things about cdt and a/d/s though, so I'd say go listen to all of them. I just had to throw that part about the utopias in there because I dont think that any salesman is gonna try to steer you away from them if you are interested in getting them.
Sorry Cap! But I gotta disagree with you on the Utopia bit... They are awesome drivers, and they do work right. I should know. I have them in my 'Sat... The only thing is you are right when you say 'don't put them in your doors...the cheaper ones will perform better in that situation...'.

They do not like being treated like a conventional driver. If however you take your time installing them, baffling the rear, installing Dynamats and Plain Chants, and work the crossover on them (we built our own and designed a first order butterworth) then they come out sounding magnificent. These are certainly not SPL speakers but for SQ, they are one mean SOB! I must say, that having been a Dynaudio man for years, and I was utilising Esotecs and Esotars previously, the Utopia's ahve my vote. But you have to know what to do with them. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
OF all of the Focals I'd say the Utopias are my favorites, but I couldn't pay that for a set of speakers when I can use and eq and make another set sound exactly the same. But they are damned nice sounding right out of the box. The original Diamonds were like that for a couple of years and then Diamond jacked those up. The original Eton made Diamonds were SOOOOOO much better than the new ones.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep! I agree Paul, especially on the Diamonds.. But my dear Paul, if you could afford a set of Utopia's and you could make another pair sound like them with an EQ, you could only fantasise about what you could do with the Utopia's and an EQ.... (especially a DEQ30) hehehehehehe... :lol:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Nah.......I doubt I'd use much eq on them at all. Just enough to account for any vehicle induced anomolies. Something like a 5 pand paramteric vs a 32 band graphic.

Stealth - For a basic door mount the CDTs (especially the Eurosports) are going to be nearly impossible to beat. If you aren't looking at adding an eq to the system then DEFINITELY go with the Eurosports.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts