Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm here for the suggestion or your opinion on what would you do in my situation.
I have a '99 V6 GLS passat, rust free, with 170k miles that I absolutely love to drive. It has been through a lot of repairs, including CCTs, AC compressor (new put in at 150k), all of the suspension components (everything exept for struts/springs), motor/tranny mounts.
It had a new clutch put in at 130k by the previous owner, and it still feels fairly new.

As 200k is fastly approaching in the next year I started looking for something newer, but the fact that everything on the market today uses forced induction makes me want to keep my Passat even longer. I have been looking at GTI's, but most of them are with 100k+ on the clock and I do not have any experience with a high mileage turbo'ed cars. Not everyone babies their turbos as they should, so they don't have tendency to last as long, as I read more-and-more about it.

If I wanted to keep my Passat, I'd have to do a TB at 200k, as well as a set of coilovers (still riding on stock), which is another costly thing.
Clutch is another $1000 job (roughly), that I will face sometime in 200k+.
Am I crazy for loving my 18 year old car? Should I invest more money into it and ride until it dies? Or should I look for a replacement?
What are your thoughts?

Thank you, everyone, for your inputs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tend to want to keep my cars until they are near death, so that tells you what I am likely to say.
If it is being good to me, then I keep it.
The big advantage of what you currently have is that you know your situation with it and its problems...then again, you can't be too afraid of change and to move on if need be.
There will always be mystery when it comes to cars and a great deal of speculation of what will happen down the road--that makes it hard to say (hard to predict the future).

As I am thinking of it...I'm not sure this is the perfect car for me, I like lighter cars, smaller cars, NA 4 cylinders, 2 doors, minimalist cars, easy to work on and not needlessly complex. But for me, I don't have time to shop now....so we are just going to have to be good to each other and see what happens. heheh

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride it until it dies, but stop throwing money into it as preventive maintenance. Who said you need a TB, coilovers or a clutch (theres only 40K on the clutch).
Timing belt as a preventive maintenance, that is a must.
Coilovers.. I've been wanting to lower it, but I don't think the ride will be comfortable much on stock struts if I just buy springs.

Forgot to mention, my price range for a new vehicle is below $10K, I'm 22 years old & student in college, if I buy anything it will have to be in cash, as I can't afford full coverage on a financed vehicle.
Got a quote from Progressive couple months ago, it would be around $500/mo for a full coverage insurance on 2008 GTI.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you able to do your own work, ie, labor...? If not, you should make plans to replace, as an 18yo Passat is not a good choice for a student's daily driver. If on the other hand you, your Dad or your buddies are accomplished wrench turners then look at 2006-08 Audi B7 A4s 20T. Otherwise, it's Fiestaville for a while. (500/mo for insurance must be a typo?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you able to do your own work, ie, labor...? If not, you should make plans to replace, as an 18yo Passat is not a good choice for a student's daily driver. If on the other hand you, your Dad or your buddies are accomplished wrench turners then look at 2006-08 Audi B7 A4s 20T. Otherwise, it's Fiestaville for a while. (500/mo for insurance must be a typo?)
I do my own work on my free time.
I wish $500/mo was a typo, but being 22 yrs old with multiple speeding tickets from 3 years ago and having my own policy brings it up there.
I'm currently on liability (state minimum) for my '99 Passat and paying $180/mo. Yup.

How is the 2.0 TFSI in the long run with over 100k miles? There are couple out there, just concerning on reliability.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I see everything as an investment... Throwing money at a 18 year old car with a book value of around $1000 doesn't make sense.

I would get some other insurance quotes. My nephew has 3 accidents within 2 years, one with injury and a 6 point reckless driving ticket. His insurance company kicked him off. He then went with Geico for $130/month. As always Geico hiked up the price at the one year renewal. So he went to another company after having a clean record for a year and got full coverage for $100/month. So try Geico, General or other crappy other insurance company they usually give a good join rate. Then switch after a year of keeping your record clean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see everything as an investment... Throwing money at a 18 year old car with a book value of around $1000 doesn't make sense.

I would get some other insurance quotes. My nephew has 3 accidents within 2 years, one with injury and a 6 point reckless driving ticket. His insurance company kicked him off. He then went with Geico for $130/month. As always Geico hiked up the price at the one year renewal. So he went to another company after having a clean record for a year and got full coverage for $100/month. So try Geico, General or other crappy other insurance company they usually give a good join rate. Then switch after a year of keeping your record clean.
Thanks for good info.
My Progressive renewal is coming up in November, I'll be definitely looking for more quotes. Will try Geico too.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Daily driven cars are not investments, they are expenses. You have to spend money on them, it's just a question of how much and when. You are far better off spending the money on keeping your Passat than you are on buying a used car that will need the same amount of work put into it in the same amount of time. If you are a decent driver, you may not need to replace your clutch for another 100K. A well kept old Passat can be reliable as a daily driver. It will need work from time to time, but so will any car you buy for less than $10K. I hope to keep mine for another 5 years or so both as a daily driver and a cross country cruiser (if my wife let's me).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I say do the TB when it's needed and replace the shocks and leave it stock. Don't worry about the clutch until it's time to worry. If it is still running strong and there are not to many other issues then drive it till it starts to have big ticket needs. That way you can put a little $ away for a future new/used car.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
Don't ask my advice -- my wife and I have a 1996 A4 and a 2001 Passat wagon. :) Our advantages are a known history of both (second owner of A4, bought with full set of records; first owner of Passat) and low mileage accumulation on both (109K and 66K, respectively).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed with PZ.

Never consider a car an investment if you're plan is to drive it daily. If it's an investment, store it somewhere for 30+ years. That said, there's nothing under $15k in my opinion that won't have maintenance issues at some point.

The devil you know and are comfortable with is always better than a new devil with unknown issues. Keep in mind a 10K car with unknown service history and 50k mileage can have severe maintenance issues if the PO didn't take care of it.

Also, consider the cost. You're talking about 3-4k in upgrades and maintenance, coil overs are an upgrade over the stock suspension, over the next year or two. How many reliable cars could you purchase, that won't need maintenance or upgrades over the same time frame. The estimate has to be close to absolute 0. Spending 3k on a car for 2 years worth of maintenance is pretty cheap operating cost on a vehicle no matter how you run the numbers; especially when you combine in the cost of a payment on any sizeable *10k USD* loan. If the engine and tranny are good, and you don't have rust issues, I wouldn't change; but then that's me.

If you like it, keep it, put some money into it, drive it, have fun. If you want something new, get something new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.