Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, I don't need a system you can hear down the block..and just want more bass. I thought about purchasing a bass tube, but I've heard both good and bad about them. So, my question...to bass tube or not to bass tube. If so, what brand? Audiobahn, Bazooka...or another? Should the bass tube be amp'd, or should I purchase an stand alone amp?

So many questions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been wondering that as well. Infinity has a nice one out, 10" with a radiator, small footprint (not that we need it with the gia-nourmous Passat trunks).

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

It has a built in amp, and a wired remote as well. I spoke the other day with a guy who had heard one, said it sounded good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bass Tube

I've had one electronics shop say get a bass tube with an amp, one say without. One said it could be mounted anywhere in the truck, the other said it need to be near one of the walls of the trunk to operate effectively.

Of course, I don't know who to believe.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've heard bass tubes before. Seems as if they give very unclear hits and not as loud. They are also expensive, and normal subs look better. I wouldn't recommend them personally.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confused

Putting a sub in, in a box that wouldn't look "ricey"...wouldn't that be more expensive than a bass tube?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Boy is this thread filled with crap. Bazookas, believe it or not, are actually some of the most accurate subs on the market. The reason they don't sound as loud as some other subs is because they have a pretty flat response. Subs that have exaggerated midbass will "sound" louder. If you match the tubeto someone who actually wants clean bass they'll be very happy. If you sell one to some 17 yr. old who listens to rap a Bazooka, unless he has a small car like a Civic hatchback, he's going to be disappointed.

As for the positioning. Yes, the positioning of a Bazooka can make a huge difference in the sound. Closer to a wall fattens up the bass and will give it more midbass. Pull it back from a wall and it'll flatten out the response, perfect for jazz and classical.

Price will vary depending on the size and series of the tube. They can be a bit expensive for the 10" RS Bazooka, but no more so than a REALLY good sub and a box. We sold the RS10 for $239 and the RS10A (has a built in amp) for $299.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Basetube heard around the block? AHAHAHA im putting togther a infinity system (12" perfect 350w rms) and an MTX class D amp (350w rms). You won't be able to hear that much out side the car. But it will sound better and clearer then a base tube. Basetubes i would use in a small car (corvette) or even an SUV were there is nothing but air b/t you and the tube :) Just what i think, i could be wrong

·
Registered
151 Posts
quality_sound said:
Digital said:
Just what i think, i could be wrong
You are.

Paul :thumbup:
ouch!!

But yeah, bass isnt to dependant on direct path to your ears, it'll go through most anything. In an suv there be tons more air to compress and the bass will be uber weak.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
Bass tubes are ok... but not as good as the sound from a box. Even a small box would sound better I think.
quality_sound said:
Boy is this thread filled with crap.
:oops:

Hahahahahaha... Actually, now that I think about it... way back when I still had Norah, I was in talks with Bazooka for a sponsorship. Their stuff was pretty impressive. Forgot out that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can speak from experience as far as Bazooka tubes go (ex-regional technical/sales rep). I can build a better, cleaner, tighter box. I can build a better, boomier, deeper box. I can spend infinite funds to do either.
The fact is you take it for what it's worth, a very good light-duty, clean (some will say too clean) sub that is reasonably priced has overall good excursion control, can be loaded against (pointed at) a solid surface to get a +3db gain or corner loaded for +6db at little soundquality cost (note I said a SOLID surface, not buzzy plastic) and can be easily removed to add crap in your trunk.

I would use an external amp.

choose your diamension wisely and according to your music tastes. bigger is definitely not always better. (I like 2-4 8" or 2 10")

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
WagenMeister
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing