Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my concern my boy is ten and as a lot of you know we live in NYC, he is extremely smart and very observant and aware of all things around him. He is still my baby boy my first born and i will be a basket case if anything happens to him.

I know i cant protect and keep in my sights 100% of the time, but that's my heart. So yes i might be overprotective possible....ya think? :lol:

So here it goes, regardless to where you reside at what age do you think that its appropriate to send a kid out on that solo journey to school?

Also the school is visible from our house, its about a block and half from the house but we cannot see him enter the school. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Are there any friends that can come by and walk with him?

I have an eight-year old girl...I know what you are going through...

I'm saving up for a shotgun and a shovel when she enters her teens :suspicio:

/karl

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Karl the crazy thing is tons of kids some tow grades below him walk to school alone, i'm talking 6 and 7 year olds to me thats crazy. Do you allow you little one to go it alone?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
My son's been doing it since 4th grade (9). It's about a 5-6 block haul, but we're in the 'burbs. He only does it on occasion because he has curb-side service with the bus, but he often has something after class, and comes home on his own.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
20vvillian said:
Yes Karl the crazy thing is tons of kids some tow grades below him walk to school alone, i'm talking 6 and 7 year olds to me thats crazy. Do you allow you little one to go it alone?
NO WAY! The school is about a mile away I'd estimate. She gets driven to school.

I can see myself already being overprotective of my little diva. LOL!

I know every parent gets to a point where they need to let go of the reins and let their children be self sufficient...my wife and I dread the day we have to totally cut the cord :)

Me and my little one when my wife and I got married last July in Oahu!

/karl

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: To all the parents: When is a child old enough to go alo

I grew up in the Bronx and walked 7 blocks to school. It didn't seem like a big deal then. These days I hang out with my 11 year old son at the school bus stop - in the burbs! I usually walk back to the house and wait there where I can see him until the bus comes.

I try to teach him the street smarts when I bring him into the city.

He's a smart kid and I trust him to do the right thing but with the kinds of abductions that happen these days I don't feel like I am over-protective.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hell, I was walking home when I was 7/8 and staying home alone til my mom got home.
my son is 8 and I've started leaving him home alone when I go for a run around the neighborhood, or if I run up to the store.
I've already gone over the emergency plan (who to call, where to go etc etc) and he's a smart kid, so I think he's ok.
School is about 2 miles away, so he gets driven...can't comment on that, but I'd suppose if the school was in sight, I'd let him walk now and just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
My child is still in pre-school and we drive because it's several miles away. But we live next-door to our elementary school, with the playfield separating our house from the school. I can tell you right now, unequivocally, she will not walk that distance unattended during her tenure there (that's through 6th grade - age 12). The road is a busy one and there's no sidewalk.

Middle school and High School mean a school bus ride or parental drop-off. Don't know what I'll do then.

And I live in the 'burbs (nice 'burbs, too). But I don't think I could live with the guilt if something happened. But that's just me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My daughter is 10, and I know exactly how you feel. I can remember when I was 10, we didn't even really have to think about locking the doors on our house at night.... or our cars for that matter (I'm 32 now). I would ride my bike across town, and come back after dark. No WAY does my kid have this kind of freedom.

My kid is already looking to be independent, which drives me nuts, but I will be keeping the clamps on her until 12-13 years old. After that your efforts to keep them chained up at home will only cause more problems. Freaks me out just sending her to the bus stop in the morning. Whenever possible I drive her to school.

The world is just a different place. Doesn't matter if you live in the country, or in the city. You have to look at how mature your child is. Try to put them into some "supervised" situations where they have to make responsible decisions. That way you can get a feel for how your kid will react to certain things.

BTW, I'm new to the boards, so I posted some info about myself in the OT forum.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I was walking home in 1st grade (however old I was than), but those were different times. No razor blades or poison in my Halloween candy. Maybe, once a year you would hear about a kidnapping somewhere far away.

I fear the day I have to let my daughter be free to use all her teachings.

However, what if they only had to walk a block to their school within a residential area? Than what age? I thought 10 maybe 9, would be reasonable.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
There was a group of us in my building that all went to the same school, and up until I was about 10 or 11, we were driven by our parents -- one parent drove MWF, my mom drove T, and another parent drove Th. Then we just started taking the bus all together. Going home, I was picked up each day until my frosh year of high school. :oops:

Steve -- I'd say it's a judgement call. If something in the back of your mind is saying that it's not time (i.e., how good the neighborhood is, etc.), don't let him go alone just yet. But if you're just being overprotective and you know it, then well... :)

Andy

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guy i really appreciate the advice and thoughts on this issue. Seems like a lot of us think alike, i know my son is mentally ready for that long walk, but its the outside element that worries me the psychopaths and molesters that roam the streets waiting to prey on our children.

MindTrigger summed it up best,

"but I will be keeping the clamps on her until 12-13 years old. After that your efforts to keep them chained up at home will only cause more problems

Karl you've got a beautiful kid, i think your gonna need that shotgun and a shovel :thumbup: .

Andy your always on the money!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I started going to school by myself in 6th grade....crap that's almost 10 years ago! haha and my brother started going to school by himself around 7th grade. We live in San Francisco so MUNI is pretty convienent and safe. We stay around in the neighborhood and as long as we didn't mix in with the wrong crowd we were alright. As long as you know where your kids are at all times, like establish times they're supposed to be home and have them call you when they're home you all should be alright. We were brought up like that, call mom or dad right when you get home.... heck i'm in college now and I still call my mommy during the day. But I say 11-12 is a good time to let your kids out on their own, just keep tabs on them...

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
I was six and walked to school with my friends. I also came home alone and was by myself till 6PM......could you imagine that now days?

I would say 21 is a good age. Let him go by himself the senior year of college!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I say its an individual thing. Keep your son safe until it is going to cause more of a problem than it helps, then let him go alone but keep an eye on him until you are comfortable that he can handle the situation. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
baisee00 said:
I started going to school by myself in 6th grade....crap that's almost 10 years ago!
Go to hell. 6th grade was 19 years ago for me. :p

Postman said:
I would say 21 is a good age. Let him go by himself the senior year of college!
LMAO!!! :lol:

Andy

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes maybe i will stop walking him when he is walking down the isle! :lol:

and yes he is p'shopped!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
baisee00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing