Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am going to be changing mine in the next few months but I have nearly 200K miles on my '99. I don't think it would help, they might use it as amo to say, "hey, this guy over here got 200K miles on his what are you doing wrong". I wouldlove to have them pay but I don't think me giving them my info is going to help. :mad:

·
Registered
487 Posts
A Finland recall isn't a US recall, it's not the first time a company hasn't applied rules globally. That's why thalidomide was still being pushed to pregnant African women long after it was banned here.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The bottom line is everyone who has had a control arm problem should file their complaint electronically on the NHTSA web site.

Complaints on file are the only documented leverage the Feds have to require a recall. No complaints, no recall.

We are not talking about a windshield wiper motor that might cause a fire 1% of the time here if the planets are lined up right. A lot of recalls are done to address minor dangers. Here we are talking about a front suspension that is known to be of sub-standard durability - with implications for steering and safety at speed - on every single car produced through at least late 1999.

When things go wrong people joke, "That's when the wheels came off!" These arms should be recalled before that happens to somebody.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mine creak on low speed bumps. When I have asked the dealer, they say it is not a safety-related problem. What really happens and what are the advance warnings of a safety problem?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
All I know is the arms are a big part of what holds the wheel on the car (it is the suspension, after all) and driving around with bad suspension parts (i.e. with play) is generally considered a safety issue. That's why they usually grab the wheels and wrestle with them at state inspection time. Any play would be grounds for failing inspection.

Some time after the bushings fail, eventually the arms will separate. Probably that would only happen to one arm at a time, which would probably not be catastrophic, but who knows? And you'd probably have plenty of warning, but who knows? Lots of people never change their oil until the car stops. I know lots of people who'd drive around with a lot of noise and never do a thing about it until the suspension collapsed or until they lost steering control.

BTW it's a noisy suspension in general so just because you have weird noises doesn't mean you have bad arms. That's also part of the problem.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
I doubt it would make that much of a difference. We've been going back and forth about control arms for years and still nothing. Its been close to 10 years now that the same design arms have been used.
I disagree. I put a complaint in with the NHTSA in May 2003 on the control arms. VWOA gave me a call in July with the case number I recorded from the NHTSA site. Unfortunately I had replaced the UCLs myself but VWOA was prepared to cover arms if I paid labor. Too bad they didn't call earlier.

Joe

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
VW Racer - How did you manage this? I mean I am an aggressive driver. But, That sounds like abusive. I mean did you hit something, just lauch the car one too many times at 4,000 RPMs? I am sure it was fun. Nothing good is ever easy... So, I bet this was easy as pie and is now going to cost you like $1000.00 to fix all that.

How do you pay for all this? Good Luck - You'll need it! :lol:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
NH VW Junky said:
VW Racer - How did you manage this? I mean I am an aggressive driver. But, That sounds like abusive. I mean did you hit something, just lauch the car one too many times at 4,000 RPMs? I am sure it was fun. Nothing good is ever easy... So, I bet this was easy as pie and is now going to cost you like $1000.00 to fix all that.

How do you pay for all this? Good Luck - You'll need it! :lol:
Dont listen to VDR - he's an attention whore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.