Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post on this topic regarding COSTCO wholesale membership.

Not sure if you guys have COSTCO's in your neck of the woods, but I am in the market for a set of 4 tires on my 03' GLX wagon.

I have settled on the Michelin Pilot Exalto's H rated standard 16" tires. Tire Rack has them online currently for $116/tire + shiiping which runs me another $33 bucks, then I have to get them installed, which my dealer wants $25/tire (another $100). O.K so use an independant and he charges $15/tire w/disposal, still another $60 bucks.

Costco is an authorized Michelin dealer. COSTCO Membership price is $124.99 per tire which includes their road hazard warranty (An extra $57 bucks through Tire Rack).
Costco/Michelin warranty includes;
- Lifetime Balencing
- Lifetime Rotation
- Lifetime Flat Repair
- Lifetime Air Pressure Checks (Not that you would use this, but your wife would)

P.S. COSTCO also publishes coupons in the fall for $60 off a set of 4 tires...
I don't think you can find a better deal...

Not to go against the grain with Tire Rack.. By far Tire Rack is the best place for tires, no question, that's where I did all of my research, but their is definitely some value to be had at COSTCO..

Check it out online if you want; www.costco.com :thumbup:
Check it out...

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
I know Sears carries those, too. Maybe $130 or $140 a tire. (I was just there getting new rubber for my wife's Jeep last night.)

More expensive, but no Costco membership fees behind it. (Yeah yeah ...I'm sure the membership is a laughable amount.)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Costco's tire selection has really gone downhill lately. Last time I was there they were only selling Michelin and BFG's. What tire store only sells two brands of tires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've purchased Michelin's from Costco numerous times. They've always had the best prices on pretty much the same tire sold elsewhere. Free tire rotations while you shop is also nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Michelins are overpriced, unfortunately costco doesn't carry Bridgestone anymore, they used to have the best deals, same performance as the michelins for half the price. The Exalto is a good all around tire, but not a performance one, they had last week $60 off on a set of michelin.

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
KIRKLAND BRAND TIRES WERE MADE BY B.F.GOODRICH UNTIL ABOUT 4 OR 5 YRS AGO.
Before that I heard Yokohama was making them.
One thing about buying plus size or hi performance tires from costco......
If their "computer" does not list a 18" rim & tire set up for the car they will NOT mount the tires and you will have to sign a waiver to the Costco warranty.

One way around this is to not bring the passat and just say the tires are going on your Mercedes (same bolt pattern). They will mount, balance and warranty the tires this way.......whatever.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza from Costco RE750 225/40-18<-----SUCKED!

They are selling the G-Force though!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Before that I heard Yokohama was making them.
One thing about buying plus size or hi performance tires from costco......
If their "computer" does not list a 18" rim & tire set up for the car they will NOT mount the tires and you will have to sign a waiver to the Costco warranty.

One way around this is to not bring the passat and just say the tires are going on your Mercedes (same bolt pattern). They will mount, balance and warranty the tires this way.......whatever.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza from Costco RE750 225/40-18<-----SUCKED!

They are selling the G-Force though!
glad my car comes with 18's stock.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i've had really good luck with www.discounttiredirect.com on tires for my jetta, they were considerably cheaper than anyone else, including tire rack, and local shops. the thing with discount tire, is that they have free ground shipping as well. it cost me less to get tires from DTD, AND have them mounted (at my local shop - $10 each) than the same identical tires from TR + shipping w/o having them mounted.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...tpc=MMIHHI&tp=Passenger/Performance&tc=MMISH3

they run pretty good deals from time to time as well... certain manuf. offer 25/50/75 rebates on tire lines, it's always changing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow $10 per tire for installation, mounting, high speed balancing, and tire disposal fee...???

Sounds like you have a pretty good Indie...

·
Registered
691 Posts
:D yup. i've got 2 indie's that i use... one for the vw's and one for the ford's. my ford guy charged me $15 to do 2 snow tires for my jetta last year. mount/balance/discard :thumbup: i've been a repeat customer for over 7 years now, he's the only guy thats touched my truck other than me for any type of service

1 - 15 of 15 Posts