Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and the results of it. i currently have 16" montreal oem rims with 205/55/16 and was wondering if i could go to 225/50/16 tires they are off in diameter by .02" and have a speedometer difference of .083%. Just wondering would there be any rub issues?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I roll on 225/50-16 Toyo Proxes 4's, three seasons of the year with no rub issues (stock suspension). I've got the 195/65-15 winter tires on now.

Here's a pic of the Proxes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks my rear tires are almost worn down and one of my front tires has a slow leak:| so i figure if i buy new tires i mine as well try to get better handling

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
16" 205/55/16 --> 225/50/16

I was just thinking the same i.e. running 225/50/16 in place of my 205/55/16 on Audi 3.0 A4 OEM 5 spokes but with a twist - mein Variant is lowered with Eibach Pro-System. Anybody has any issues/comments?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the tire is .02" taller then stock and .78" or so wider so if you can turn ur wheel all the way in both directions and have say more than ~.39" from the closest part you should be good :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just thinking the same i.e. running 225/50/16 in place of my 205/55/16 on Audi 3.0 A4 OEM 5 spokes but with a twist - mein Variant is lowered with Eibach Pro-System. Anybody has any issues/comments?
I'm running 225/50-16 tires (first Sumitomo HTR+ , now Avon Tech M550 A/S) on a 2000 Passat GLX 4Motion with Eibach Pro Line dampers/springs (@ 1 - 1.5" drop) with no problems after 35,000 miles. You should have no problems. I will say, as others may know, 50 series tires are not very forgiving if you hit rough road (potholes, raised patches, off-road "by mistake") - I've cracked 3 rims, but not because the car is too low - just not enough "bumper". Just got to be a "leetle more careful".

·
Registered
828 Posts
The 225/50-16 has sidewall is virtually the same height as the 205/55. I've run both on my car (1BE) using OEM style rims with no ill effects.

Except at the very egde of the (lateral) envelope you won't get a performance difference from 225 vs 205. You will pay the price in noise, weight, tendency to tramline and hydroplane, though.

If you want better handling, you might want to consider buying a higher performance tire in the narrower size than wider, lower-performance rubber.

Check out Tire Rack's price on the Bridgestone RE050A for a summer tire (it is pretty quiet for a "max perf" tire). It is a steal at $79/corner for the 205 size (a dollar more for 225).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thanks all - I am probably going to stick to the 205/55/16's - most likely Kumho ECSTA ASX. Have >50K miles on 716's and am real happy. ECSTA ASX has some pretty decent reviews and its likely I won't go more than another 40 ~50K miles on mein Variant before I have to change it (co car policy rules :cry: )

I'm running 225/50-16 tires (first Sumitomo HTR+ , now Avon Tech M550 A/S) on a 2000 Passat GLX 4Motion with Eibach Pro Line dampers/springs (@ 1 - 1.5" drop) with no problems after 35,000 miles. You should have no problems. I will say, as others may know, 50 series tires are not very forgiving if you hit rough road (potholes, raised patches, off-road "by mistake") - I've cracked 3 rims, but not because the car is too low - just not enough "bumper". Just got to be a "leetle more careful".
Wilkommen to der Klub! I suspect you are a lurker ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
It's a common change. No problems from anyone that I have seen with them (including my 2 cars).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, Felio. Yeah, well, gosh, I have been lurking. I migrated over from VW Vortex sometime ago, but just registered. I hope to get some helpful information and good ideas here. The B5 is driven primarily by my wife; I get the 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew (and the 1992 Trans Am convertible when the tank is empty). But, I love to take the Passat out (just before filling it up for her) and try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible (have access to a repair shop garage and lift).
Again thanks for the kind Wilkommen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts