Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? The whole side of the car can't be held up with the stock jack right? I need to do it quickly (1500 mile trip coming up) but fear taking my BBS to someone else...

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am planning to do a tire rotation soon. I also have a set of 2 jack stands with a jack that I plan to use, in addition to the factory jack.

How are you planning to rotate? I believe the manual says to simply rotate the fronts straight back (for the 2wd version).

Eddie

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just get one of those jack and stand kits at Wal-Mart, something like $30 for a jack, 2 stands and two chocks. K-Mart even has an AC Delco kit that comes with a creeper.
They are not fancy, but are rated for like 4000 pounds, more than you will ever need for a Passat. I bought two kits (Manager special, about 40% off) and it does really help to have two jacks, etc.

If need be, I can get the entire car in the air at once without issue. Experience tells me that these are great for the DIY person and even work well for GTGs with a few friends.

Also, with a jack, one of these saddle blocks is recommended to protect the frame rails:

HTH,
Mark

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
^
|
|

Agreed.

Jack stands are cheap for what they do. Heck, splurge on yourself and get a cheap hydraulic floor jack. I found one for $60 and payed $30 for 4 stands and heck, while you are at it, splurge on your B5 and get a set of <url="http://www.drewparts.com/Product.asp?ProductID=447389">jack pads</url> from Drew Parts. Use the ClubB5 to get a 20% discout.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
For a tire rotation, I would think that the cheapo jack kits would work okay (w/ saddle blocks). Just be careful not to make your arm crunchable while placing the stands. I did read about one guy who got his wrist crushed b/c the hydraulic cylinder on the cheapo jack failed while he was placing the stands. He ended up screaming while his friend got the tire jack out of the trunk and cranked the car back up.

My life is too valuable to trust to one of those super-cheap things. The fact that the executors of your estate could possibly collect hansomely in a lawsuit after you die isn't real comforting.

Oh, one more thing: CINDERBLOCKS MAKE DEADLY JACK STANDS!!!! DON'T DO IT!

SirWired

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I rotate mine all the time with the factory jack and spare combo. I only jack up one corner at a time. Takes me about 30 minutes.

spare>front left
front left>rear left
rear left>front right
front right>rear right
rear right>front left
spare>trunk

If you rotate in the spare, adjust accordingly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's too painful trying to do tire rotations with the factory jack. You could probably get away with it jacking up front and back but it is not safe! I would invest in a hydraulic jack. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The ultralight factory jack is precarious, at best! You must be parked on absolutely flat, solid ground. Wheel chocks of some kind are a must. You may note the jack starting to go at an angle to the car as you lift the car, hence you may have to start off at an angle for the jack to be perpendicular to the ground/car once the car is up. Every time I use the factory jack, I feel like I'm gonna have a coronary. :nervous: Be afraid. Be very afraid.

·
Registered
358 Posts
be careful using a hydraulic, get those saddle blocks as mentioned above, my rails are all bent out from jacking it up without one... i'd be in trouble if I got a flat. Also, you've seen that stock jack... would you want that hold up the whole side of the car and then work next to it ... I sure as hell wouldn't! Maybe you can go to a place that will let you watch, they'll be a lot more careful if you're there when they do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I concur about using car jack for tire rotation. I'll go you one better. On every car I've owned, I do my oil changes - from underneath the car - using the car jack.

Here is what I do to protect myself: I jack up the car for the oil change. I "block" both front and rear wheels (opposite side from jack). Then, VERY IMPORTANT - I use wood blocks right "next" to the jack - or on whatever I find (depending upon the car) under the car - that can sustain the weight of the car if the jack fails.

Listen to the others. Never go under a car (or wheel, disk rotor) without a back up to the factory jack. Even the scissors type jacks - can "tumble" over - and the car will fall on whatever is under there.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
realbeentheredonethat,

Wouldn't ramps be a better solution for simple oil changes? Unlike the factory jack, ramps are built to sustain the weight of your car, and they are absolutely foolproof. They will also raise your car much higher than the factory tire jack, making the work much easier to do.

SirWired

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I just rotated my tires on my own for the first time yesterday. I bought a pair of 3-ton jack stands for $15 at Advanced Auto, used the factory jack to lift. No problems at all, very stable.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
sirwired said:
realbeentheredonethat,

Wouldn't ramps be a better solution for simple oil changes? Unlike the factory jack, ramps are built to sustain the weight of your car, and they are absolutely foolproof. They will also raise your car much higher than the factory tire jack, making the work much easier to do.

SirWired
And a set of rhino ramps are dirt cheap too. climbing under the car without them for an oil change is :crazy:

Now regarding tire rotations, get a set of jack stands, these are fairly inexpensive (less than $40) and a hydraulic jack (less than $50 for a decent one) and cut some 4x4s into a set of wheel chocks and you're good to go. I use this set-up for tire rotations, and wheel swaps from winter to summer set up and even at $100 it pays for itself in short order (you'll use the jack more often).

Incidentally, I made my own saddle for my hydraulic jack at work and it works beautifully. In fact, showed it to a customer that is in the BMW aftermarket business and he wants to offer them to his customers so looks like we'll be going into production on them. I can't tell you how much your life will be easier with a jack saddle - especially if you're lowered.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Buy a pair of the small hydraulic jacks for rotating tires. Set one at the front, and one in the rear. Luckily I own one, and my neighbor has one. I just use two and swap front to back. It's pretty quick if you have a pair of them. I also have a pair of jack stands...

Also, I bought the jack pads and installed them. They're great for the hydraulic jacks. :)

-Mark

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
AgVWB5 said:
Where can I get a set of those jack pads? I've got stands and a great hydraulic jack, but I don't want to use either without something protecting the car.
Chas has an aluminum one in either the classifieds or the GB forums, or you can go to JC Whitney and get the crappy ABS plastic one for dirt cheap. If you're willing to wait a bit, I am trying to see what I can do for B5ers from my company on the ones we make too. Ours will be urethane so will be rigid enough to support the vehicle but won't damage the rails either.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
sirwired said:
realbeentheredonethat,

SirWired
i use an oil extractor for oil changes...no need to get under the car.

as for rotating tires, pick up some jackstands. $20 is definately worth it there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.