Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!!

I want to buy some Kaha RS-R 7x17 inch rims for my 2000 1.8t (Still has stock 16 inch VW Rims). This is my first car and my first experience changing rims or buying tires. I have a few questions to ask….
1) I see everyone here talk about offset all the time, what exactly is offset and will I have to do it going fro 16 to 17 inch rims?
2) What kind of tires will I need (obviously 17 inch) but beyond that I don’t know much, and where can I get the best deals? – I went and talked to someone at sears and they told me that any 17 inch tire would be at least 600$$$ (I don’t believe him)
3) How would they ship these and how much would it cost me?
4) Anyone want to sell or know where I can get a good deal on these rims, the kaha website says its about 160$$$ Usd (I assume that per rim), so its about 640$$ total on the rims
5)anybody know of a similar look (5 spoke only) for a little less $$$ maybe in 16 inch so i can just change the rims?
6) anyone know why the make 15 and then go right to 17 skipping the 16's?

Any other information newbe would need to know about buying Tires/rims you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ethan
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Here's a good place to start on your research. :)

Wheel stuff: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.htm
Tire stuff: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.htm

For the record, the proper plus-size for 17" rims is 225/45-17. You can mess around with some other sizes that get you into the ballpark, but they all have their pros and cons.

I've never heard of Kaha wheels...got a website where we can check out pics? Also, you want to make sure that the bolt pattern is 5x112 and that the centerbore is the correct size (or that hub rings are available).

And how did your 2000 1.8T come with 16" wheels? Standard wheel size is 15" for that model...

Andy

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, i found them at www.edgeracing.com (they are a lot more expensive there) and i did some more looking and found This http://www.kahndesign.com/flash/menu.html.

i thought the guy told me that the stock VW rims were 16', if they are 15' then i just assume get them. the tires that are on the car are almost brand new!!

Thanks for all the help
Ethan
:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Go look at the sidewall of your tires, there should be some numbers printed there. If it says 195/65-15, you're on 15" rims. If it says 205/55-16, then you're on 16" rims.

Kahn RSR's are nice... :) I think Edge might be the only place in the states that has them, I've never seen 'em elsewhere.

Andy

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thy are on the kahndesing website listed at 69 euros, or about 77$$ american. So the only other Question is can they ship to the states, or do they know about some website i dont?? :???: :???:

Thanks For all of your help!!! :bow:
Ethan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts