Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY got my 18" RH C5000s on and I'm wondering what good tire pressure would be? The Continental Contisport Contact 2s have a max of 51psi and I have them at 45 and 42 right now. I read in a previous post, that I can't find, a general pressure increase for every inch you go up in size. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
you really have to factor in road conditions to be accurate - if you are in an area where roads are smooth you can run lower pressures. if you're in an area with average roads you can run aprox 2psi per inch you plus size.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That works for me. There's only one really crappy section of road leading out of the base. My main thing is tread life so i want to keep the face of the tire as flat as possible so I don't wear the middle or outsides prematurely. Any idea what the recommended pressures for a 99 V6 Tip was? My car doesn't have the sticker in the jamb that the manual refers to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
heres another option: take white shoe polish and run a thick line of it across the tread on each tire,, if it wears evenly, then you are good to go for even tread wear. heavy wear on the outside- too low heavy wear on the inside-too high. hope this helps, i might try it myself this wkend

Daniel

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IDriveB5 said:
heres another option: take white shoe polish and run a thick line of it across the tread on each tire,, if it wears evenly, then you are good to go for even tread wear. heavy wear on the outside- too low heavy wear on the inside-too high. hope this helps, i might try it myself this wkend

Daniel
That's a grat idea Daniel. :bow: I'll try that this weekend.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
quality_sound said:
B5point5 said:
Check for a sticker on the fuel door - thats where its at on my 2001 GLS.

ooooooo....you're good :bow: :bow: :bow:

That is only factory recomendations with stock tires :wink:
I run 35psi with my 18's.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warped said:
quality_sound said:
B5point5 said:
Check for a sticker on the fuel door - thats where its at on my 2001 GLS.

ooooooo....you're good :bow: :bow: :bow:

That is only factory recomendations with stock tires :wink:
I run 35psi with my 18's.

I realize that, however I needed a base number to start with to get me in the ball park of where I need to be. I tried 35psi and it sucked on mine. The tires looked flat, rode on the sidewalls more than I care for and were generally very sluggish. I think my next set of tires will be a 215/40/18 since the rim is only 7.5" wide anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
you guys are all runing way too high psi. i work at sears, i had my b5 with 225/40/18 and i was runing about 35 psi. one dat i was complining to a friend about the kinda bounci ride and the big guy (( the one with all the degrees)) overheard and explianed to me the weight ratio and all that crap that i didnt know. anyways he said that i should be runing about 28-30 tops. something about having to do with the 18's having a smaller sidewall than the 15's .

·
Registered
479 Posts
carlssonB5.5 said:
you guys are all runing way too high psi. i work at sears, i had my b5 with 225/40/18 and i was runing about 35 psi. one dat i was complining to a friend about the kinda bounci ride and the big guy (( the one with all the degrees)) overheard and explianed to me the weight ratio and all that crap that i didnt know. anyways he said that i should be runing about 28-30 tops. something about having to do with the 18's having a smaller sidewall than the 15's .
That's the opposite of what I've heard in the past. I had heard that with the shorter sidewalls on the low profile tires, you need to run a higher pressure in order to protect the wheels from damage.

:???:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried mine at 35 and they sucked. They felt flat, didn't turn for crap sqealed on almost every turn and worst, were very obviously spending WAAAAAYYYYY too much time ON the sidewall.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warped said:
aldolicious77 said:
i'm at 40psi
WOW :shock:
I have the same tires and run 35psi. Thats stiff enough for me! That thing must ride like a brick at 40psi :???:

Hell, I'm at 45F/42R on my 18s just to keep it off the sidewalls. I might go lower once I put the suspension on. For now it's not bad.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
quality_sound said:
I tried mine at 35 and they sucked. They felt flat, didn't turn for crap sqealed on almost every turn and worst, were very obviously spending WAAAAAYYYYY too much time ON the sidewall.

Sounds like my old stock 15" Michelins when they hit 32. Squealed around every corner, no matter how slowly I took it (so no, I wasn't driving crazily). Bumped them to 35, problem solved, and the ride felt so much better. Haven't looked at my 17" Toyos, but 35 does seem to be the minimum to keep me (mostly) off the sidewall. I couldn't imagine running the 28psi recommended on my door :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
dxiao
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing