Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at the Wheel and Tire forum but not too many hits...

Is 35 psi okay for the stock 195/65/15 Continental's?

I used to follow VW's recommendation of 28 psi but I find the ride too floaty so I put 32 psi since then. I know the max is 40 psi

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I ran 35 psi in my conti's for a long time and all it managed to do was beat them up quicker. I'd recommend staying with the 32 psi.

Of course, I'd also recommend a different tire since I am no fan of the the Conti tires. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I ran 35psi in my stock Michelins with very good success (32 and lower didn't feel so good). Sure, maybe it let me wear them quicker (replaced at around 27-28K), but it's because I could actually drive and had more fun doing it. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
idale said:
I ran 35psi in my stock Michelins with very good success (32 and lower didn't feel so good). Sure, maybe it let me wear them quicker (replaced at around 27-28K), but it's because I could actually drive and had more fun doing it. :thumbup:
And there you have it. If you want them to last - run at the recommended pressure or slightly higher. If you don't care, and want to feel more connected to the road, run at 35 psi. I guess what it comes down to is that 35 psi won't create the Ford Exploder. :lol: ..er Explorer problem so if you prefer 35 psi for feel then go for it. Best bet, run them at 35 psi, you'll wear them out quicker and then you can put a better tire on sooner. :wink:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had my new 235/45 17's at 35psi for a week or so after installation and noticed a drop in fuel efficiency so I upped it to 37psi and it went back up to normal. Of course this wasn't a controlled experiment (weather may have played a factor in the week long drop) or anything so I might drop it back down to 35 and then 32 over 2 week periods to see if mpg is affected...

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you don't care, and want to feel more connected to the road, run at 35 psi
Yeah right, if you want to feel more connected to the road, run them at about 2 psi. The grip is so good you can barely move. :lol:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
jjasper13 said:
If you don't care, and want to feel more connected to the road, run at 35 psi
Yeah right, if you want to feel more connected to the road, run them at about 2 psi. The grip is so good you can barely move. :lol:
What I should have said was feel every bump in the road as higher pressure obvioulsy will result in less grip but will make you feel every pothole and expansion joint. :lol:

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
natskiboy, I'm running the same tire size (195/65-15) and the same tire pressure (32 psi) as you are, but not the Conti's (mine came with the Michelins). I'm pretty satisfied with the ride, tire wear (which has been even), and performance. Personally, I'd start to worry about the tire wearing unevenly at 35 psi, but that's just me (I'd like these tires to last awhile). Just MHO.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. I will stick with 32 psi for now. I noticed a big difference from running 28 - 32 psi... my mileage has been better, now its time to clean the air filter and throttle body.. :lol:

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
For handling,the higher the better. I ran my stock Michelins at 40psi just to keep
them from rolling off the rim on the corners. They actually handle well at that psi,
but the ride does get harsher.

·
Registered
151 Posts
PZ said:
For handling,the higher the better. I ran my stock Michelins at 40psi just to keep
them from rolling off the rim on the corners. They actually handle well at that psi,
but the ride does get harsher.
This is not necessarily true either. The higher pressure you put in, the more ballooned the tire will be and the tread will not sit flat on the road and impede the performance of the tire. Rather than the contact patch being rectangular, higher pressure will make it more oval like a motorcycle tire.

I would say heed not only the VW recommendation (for original equipment) but also what is marked on the tire you use.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
The door sticker gives you a pressure for a nice soft ride and bad handling. Not to
mention tire overheating (ask Ford). My tires wear evenly across the thread. For a
much wider tire,you might get some ballooning,not the stockers.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Blindthief said:
This is not necessarily true either. The higher pressure you put in, the more ballooned the tire will be and the tread will not sit flat on the road and impede the performance of the tire. Rather than the contact patch being rectangular, higher pressure will make it more oval like a motorcycle tire.
The reason for running higher pressures is for handling. Think of it this way, you know if you have a lot of weight in a car the tire pressure needs to be increased on the tires under that weight or the tires will bulge out and become distorted? The same thing happens when you are turning. Weight transfers to the outside and instead of supporting the static 800lbs or so they normally do, they may be supporting 1300lbs. Higher pressures prevent tire distortion at high lateral G's at the cost of straight-line grip. More pressure is almost always better on a street car with street tires.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I don't think you can get performance tire (wider contact patch - surface flat) like handling with a touring tire (narrow contact patch - surface rounded).

Adding more pressure to a touring tire will definitely make it more rounded. Unless in full load conditions when you compress enough to retain good contact.

Again, my 02 GLS came with Contis. No idea how the OE michelins are. 35 may be too high for half/regular load on the touring Contis.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm running my crappy OEM Contis at 35 front, 33 rear. I disagree that 35 will cause premature tire wear (but I could be proven wrong), depending on driving style. I like mine a little firmer for better mileage. In snow it's better to run them at spec for better traction.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The door-jamb sticker for my '04 Variant says to run 35 front, and an astounding 44 rear. (44 also happens to be the max rated pressure for the stock Contis)

SirWired

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
sirwired said:
The door-jamb sticker for my '04 Variant says to run 35 front, and an astounding 44 rear. (44 also happens to be the max rated pressure for the stock Contis)

SirWired
I noticed that too when I was in the show room. I asked the salesman :lol: and he said that was the max. I'm not sure why it is there. What does the manual say about where to get the proper pressures? In my '99, it is in the gas cap cover...

Did your '04 come with synthetic in it? Does the owners manual specify synth? I see you have the bigger VW oil filter...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts