Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read TireRack's page about tire pressures, but I'd like to get a bit more specific. The track is a 1.5 mile road couse, so it won't be high speed. I have Potenza 950s 195/65 15s with 30,000 miles, so they are getting down there on tread. Temps will be in the high 60's, cool and dry. My car has very little front camber -.3 degrees driver's front and -.6 pass front. The rear driver's side is -1.7 degrees and the right is low at -1.2 degrees. The potenzas have a max of 44 lbs.

I was planning on having 44 front, 39 rear to start with. My wheels are 7 inches wide. What do you think?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Sounds good. :) Although I'd still run 44/44 since the car is heavily unbalanced towards understeer.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate your advice. Did you look thru the TireRack recommendation? They advised 5 lbs less in the rears. This morning I put them at 44 and 42 and will adjust from there tonight. I am pumped!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They advised 5 lbs less because there's usually less weight in the back of a FWD car, so your contact patch will be larger in the rear with the lower pressure. But if you're understeering that much, grip is pretty low on the list of important things. So make the rear a little looser so you can actually rotate your car and make the corner, and you'll be better off. If I had an Integra or something decently balanced from the factory, I'd run those pressures...but with the lack of adjustability of our suspensions, we have to combat the understeer by reducing rear end contact patch via tire pressures. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.