Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my right rear tire keep on losing air, after a few days or maybe few weeks, the tire would go under 15 PSI.....why is it doing that? i have 26000 on them... all new OEM tires.

should i have it inspected? or just replace it?

thank you all in advance

·
Registered
666 Posts
Get it inspected, I had a slow leak and couldn't figure it out, so I pumped in 2 cans worth of fix a flat (mind you this was on my g'friend's old cavalier) over the course of two months. Well we sold the car to her brother and told him he needs to buy 2 new tires. He's broke so he just took the tire in and voila, they found a screw. I looked all over this damn tire, I though it was just old. Anyway, think he paid like ten bucks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
AfterDark88 said:
my right rear tire keep on losing air, after a few days or maybe few weeks, the tire would go under 15 PSI.....why is it doing that? i have 26000 on them... all new OEM tires.

should i have it inspected? or just replace it?

thank you all in advance
Take the wheel off of the car and roll the tire along the ground while examining the tread. I am sure you will find a nail or a screw in the tire. The head of the screw/nail may be worn off, but you will still be able to see it.

Once you find the object take the tire to reputable tire shop and ask if the the tire can be patched. Make sure they dismount the tire and seal the hole from the inside. The other solution is to just buy a new tire, or tires if you want.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not to Hi-Jack this thread or anything, but i've had the same problem with my wheel. I had them replace the tire because i thought it was bad..and now i'm finding it's the same problem with the new tire. I've check for nails/staples/birds/etc. and to no avail. My wheel is in good condition. Any ideas?!

·
Registered
176 Posts
MrJackalope said:
Not to Hi-Jack this thread or anything, but i've had the same problem with my wheel. I had them replace the tire because i thought it was bad..and now i'm finding it's the same problem with the new tire. I've check for nails/staples/birds/etc. and to no avail. My wheel is in good condition. Any ideas?!
Have you tried taking wheel off of the car and pouring soapy water over the tire and wheel? If a leak is present it will turn the soapy water to foam at the location of the leak. Since you had the tire replaced, I would specifically check the bead area (where rim and tire meet) and where the valve stem comes out of the rim.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The same thing happened to me, turned out that there was a very, very small crack on the rim. The tire shop put the whole wheel in soapy water, and found bubbles coming from the inside of the wheel. :sad: Had to replace the rim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts