Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of deciding on tires again. I currently have Dunlop Sport A2's that are 85% bald. The amount of traction left is minimal at best and living through the Chicago winter does not help matters. I would like to know what brand of tire have you have the best luck with? (High Performance All Season)

The Dunlops appear to not last very long but when they were new I loved them.

I am running 205/55/16's was consider 225's but do not want to hamper acceleration so I will stick with 205's. I am looking at H-rated All Season tires.

Tire Rack offers feedback but I wanted to hear from Passat owners, not Miata, mustang, and minivan owners. (Nothing work with those owers or cars, they just do not fit the profile of the B5)

Currently my top choices are anthoer set of A2's or Potenza RE950's, but am interested in hearing your feedback and experiences with these and other brands.

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Finding a long lasting, sticky tire is pretty hard to come by.

IMHO, I think you'd be better off spending less money for a lower life tire, while having decent grip throughout the life of the tire. The Continental ContiExtremeContact is a very nice tire, that's comfortable and grips quite well in all conditions. It is a bit soft though, so cornering stability is sacraficed for the sake of comfort. The new Kumho ASX looks like a neat possibility, although there's no reviews on it yet. Its cheap, at $70/tire from TireRack in your fitment...and judging from Kumho's history, they'll perform very well.

One last suggestion: Toyo released a new tire called the Proxes 4. $79/tire from Treadepot.com, and judging from Toyo's previous products, it probably one of the best in its class. Some people on the board have it already, so I'm sure one of 'em will pipe up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dj-

You and I seem to be comparing the same tires in the same sizes. I was all-but set to buy the RE950 's from Tirerack when I began reading some good reviews here on the Toyo Proxes 4. They're a little apples to oranges since the Bridgestone is HPAS 400AA H-rated, and the Toyo is UHPAS 300AA V-rated, but both seem to deliver good performance and value.

Does anyone else have any opinions (or links to other reviews) on the Proxes 4? The only hesitance I have about them is the lack of info on the web.

Thanks!

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Id take a look at this list:
Toyo Proxes 4
Pirelli P7000 SUPERSPORT
Sumitomo HTR+
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Continental ContiExtremeContact
That is what i would consider and i would probably go with the Toyos. My dad had a set of FZ4's in 225/50/16 IIRC (the discontinued them and replaced with the 4's). They were a great tire, but he put them on to sell the car just so it would have new tires so we didnt get to much experience maybe only ~1000 miles, but from what experience we did get they were great tires and i hear the 4's are much better then the FZ4's.
HTH

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dj said:
Currently my top choices are anthoer set of A2's or Potenza RE950's, but am interested in hearing your feedback and experiences with these and other brands.

Thanx in advance
After 25K miles, I've been very pleased with my RE950s. Nice response for all-seasons, and good grip with communication at the limit. Very good in the wet.

But not so good in the snow. And they have gotten louder as they've aged.

As I have dedicated winter rubber (Nokians), I'll be going with a summer performance tire.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I highly recommend the Toyo Proxes 4's as an excellent High Performance All-Season Tire for guys running 17's and up. Everyone knows I normally run Toyo Proxes T1-S as my Summer and Race tire, but the Proxes 4's handle well in the rain and in slush. I will admit that the Michelin Sport Pilot A/S and the Pirelli P7000 Super Sports handle better in the twisties but you have to rotate them every 2nd Sunday or 5,000 miles to promote even wear. My friend replaced her Continentals which were stock on the BMW 330Xi Sport Package with Proxes4's and the car handled the ice and snow in the DC Metro like a champ.

Price these tires out, and seriously consider them...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just tested the Extreme Contacts in the snow on our track. Obviously not top of the line snow traction, but for a higher performing tire it was pretty decent. Wouldn't be a bad choice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brags5 said:
i second the sumitomo htr tires. im runnin a set of 17s on my 99 b5.
What about Yokohama AVID T4's? They are in the same price range as the Conti Extremes, though not as grippy from the traction table.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I've got the Dunlops on my car now as well. Switched to them after ripping through a couple of sets of the Contis. Hated the Contis for treadlife and find the Dunlops a slightly better choice in that dept.

I am switching over to a summer/winter tire set up - the rims and tires for summer are already in the garage just waiting to go. I'll probably keep the Dunlops on in the winter until I wear them out and then switch to a true winter tire.

For an all season, my friend has the Toyo tires on his M3 and is really happy with them thus far with about 8k miles. Can't offer you any more than that though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put Yokohama Avid H4s on my 2001 passat and it's quite amazing. They are by far, the best tires I have every had. Tirerack has them cheap w/60,000 mile warranty. Take corners with ease and drive comfortably for long rides. They're awesome at high speeds too. What a tire.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
After having run all-seasons for most of my driving life and just recently switching to summer/winter set-ups, I can honestly say, its worth the extra cost to run seperate set-ups if you drive even a little bit aggressively.

I've got Yokohama AVS ES100 225/50/16 on the car now and am loving them. I've only put about 6k miles on them but the grip is amazing in comparison to any all season I've run in the past. As I've said before, I'll run my Dunlops until they wear out (probably next winter) and then I'll go to a true winter tire and mount them on the stock steelies. I found a good set of Audi OEM Tangos for cheap and use those for the summer.

Honestly its like night and day but if you want an all-season, the Sumi's are nice. The Dunlops are loud as hell after 15k miles, and the Contis have lousy tread life even rotating them every 9k miles (every third oil change).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
00Psst
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing