Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at getting either 18” or 17” wheels. My B6 wagon is not lowered. Do chains fit well on 18’s without scratching the wheels? What about 17’s? I have to use chains literally two or three days a year at the most and normally for short distances getting in or out of the mountains when I’m hiking. Snow tires and wheels would be great if I actually had to deal with snow regularly.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I am thinking about picking up a pair of those snow socks. Not sure if you've seen them, but they are legal on all roads unlike snow chains. I'm mainly thinking about getting them for when I am in a bind or the roads are really covered (especially for when I drive up to New Hampshire/ Vermont for snowboarding)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I’m looking at getting either 18” or 17” wheels. My B6 wagon is not lowered. Do chains fit well on 18’s without scratching the wheels? What about 17’s? I have to use chains literally two or three days a year at the most and normally for short distances getting in or out of the mountains when I’m hiking. Snow tires and wheels would be great if I actually had to deal with snow regularly.
Thanks in advance,
Scott
due to extremely limited clearance with the suspension, chains are not recommended for tires with width larger than 205mm

so... try a spikes spider. expensive, but no clearance issues since it wraps around the outer side of the tire. there are a good number of threads on the B5 forum.

I have them on my passat (spikes spider sport)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have experience with the snow socks DerhsLacidar in mentioning?

Dark_Helmet thanks for the idea on the spider. Where did you get the pair you have? How much?

·
Registered
717 Posts
i wasnt expecting anything from them.... just thought for bad roads/icy conditions they could be a cheap 'solution' as apposed to buying a set of snow tires/wheels... but i drive on the highway and im sure we'll pass 30mph and dont want to buy a set of snow tires as i already have a set of 17's wheels/tires that i cant use nor get rid of taking up enough room in my garage.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
ISSE Textile Snow Chains on ECSTuning

thought about trying these out...but then saw 30mph speed 'limit' rating... no go
What do you expect from them? To be used just like regular snow tires? They are emergency devices, just like chains & cables, which all limits the speed to 30 mph max.
I haven't ordered them yet. It's still hitting 60-65 degrees here in NJ. :rolleyes: Yes, the speed limit is 30ish mph and that goes the same for chains as Dark Helmet said. They are for when you are stuck or really need to get out of a sticky (or perhaps slippery?) situation. I had a full set of blizzaks a few years ago and they were nice in winter, but I wouldn't do it again unless I lived up in an area where it gets hit hard with snow or is mountainous.

Obviously you can drive faster on snow tires than chains. Winter tires are really soft which allows great traction in cold conditions and prevents the rubber from freezing. Have you ever run a set of all-weathers when the snow is really bad and the temp is pretty low? They become super hard and kind of frozen. Make sure you get them off your car after the winter season ends so the winter tires don't get whooped in warmer weather.

Either way, I've got all-weathers on this year that are brand new. I wanna get the socks because I've heard a lot of good things about them and I will use them to get me somewhere around town if the weather is pretty bad or if I'm up at some mountain area for some snowboarding and the roads are slick.

Some cars perform better in the snow then others, but if you're up in a bad weather region and snow tires are commonly used I'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
studless snow tires tend to have a "q" speed rating, which is good to 99 mph

yes, studded tires should be driven slower, due to stud ejection

1 - 15 of 15 Posts