Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 Passat wagon that just passed 50K mi. I took it in for service to the dealer (Potamkin, in NYC) that we bought it from and have always gone to every 5000 mi for service. They have always been fine, and the car has been fine. This time they wanted $500 to reline the back brakes, which, while expensive, I thought not too unreasonable given wear and tear Got the car back that evening and immediately started for a weekend trip. Soon I knew there was something wrong because there was a funny bump in the rear when the wheels turned at low speeds. Had a lot of confidence in the service manager, however, from times before, so kept denying to myself that something could be wrong, even though I was driving at high speeds to Connecticut. Next morning I looked at the back wheels and found two of the wheel bolts missing. Thank God for that, because if they weren't I still might not of been alarmed, but I immediately took the car to the nearest repair shop where I discovered not only that the two bolts were missing, but all of the bolts were completely loose on both back wheels! This is scary! I thought I would be getting excellent service, was willing to pay for it, and instead got criminally negligent service. Of course Potankin was willing to repay me for the local repair shop bill. But should they get off so easy? How can they be made to be more careful in cases such as this? Also, I am wondering, are dealers less careful about cars brought in after the end of the warranty period (50,000 mi)? I got really good service, I thought in times past. Anyone know a good mechanic near Madison, CT?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
sounds like they just hand tightened the bolts and never torqued them down. you got really lucky the wheel didn't come off on you

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
same thing happened to my dad. They were loose on his back wheel and he noticed and went back there. they were really nice to him and tightened em up. My dad never sued them or anything tho.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
500.00 $ !!!!!!!!!!(relined) ?they use to reline brake shoes year ago............

anyway was that for rear pads and rotors combined ?which is still too high IMO, even at a dealer for just rear brakes,let alone the careless and dangerous work
done besides .yoyu need to find an import garage that specializes in german/euro cars which should not be too hard to find in nyc ,lots more in CT., I would think

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
there is another scary, errie almost identical post on vortex just like this one except for location ,one too many for me to hear/read about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts