Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 98 1.8t with tip and dont know how to use it. i have an idea, but i wouldnt want to mess anything up.. could someone explain to me how to use the tiptronic function? what would be the pros/cons to using it? would my mpg go up? any advice would help.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Put the car in "D" (drive, obviously) then push the shifter to the right so its in between the + and - signs. Push the shifter up (+) to upshift and pull it back (-) to downshift. You can do it at any time (I.E. - while driving or while stopped) its pretty much fool proof and has safeguards worked in it to avoid damaging anything.

I like using it when I need some more zip or need to pass someone in a tight spot and dont want to wait for the rather conseravtive auti-shifting pattern to figure out what it's doing.

Your MPG will probably stay the same at best, although its likely to go down unless you shift at the same points as it does in auto mode. The only con for me is that there is a slight delay before it actually shifts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car does not show what gear im in on the in dash display. will this hurt somwhat since i dont know what gear im on

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
It should show what gear you're in when you're in tip mode, as opposed to "PRND4321" (or whatever it is). If it doesnt then it could just be a problem with the display. Try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
613 Posts
well you could just always keep track of your shifts in your head.

anyways it doesn't really matter because you can just watch the tech and know whats going on. Only thing to worry about is shifting into first while slowing down (i'll do it for you) If you do it at too high rpm the car stops really quickly and you look kinda dumb, other that that you can't mess up a thing

·
Registered
221 Posts
newer tiptronics will shift for you at times. the only failsafe the 98 model had is the rev limiter. it will also shift so you dont stall.

helpful hint: if you're in D, make sure you dont try to shift and accidentally go into neutral instead. i've done this many atime and it probably makes you look/sound pretty silly.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
sano said:
... helpful hint: if you're in D, make sure you dont try to shift and accidentally go into neutral instead. i've done this many atime and it probably makes you look/sound pretty silly.
Yup, been there ... done that a few times, anyway!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
LeoMan319 said:
my car does not show what gear im in on the in dash display. will this hurt somwhat since i dont know what gear im on
You may want to look into having the dash repaired.

Otherwise, as others have noted, if you shift according to the tach, you probably don't need to know which gear you are in.

Another tip (so to speak): In normal traffic situations, I do not downshift the transmission when slowing to a stop, on the theory that brakes are alot cheaper than transmissions. I use the tip to prevent or to delay an upshift or for mild engine braking, such as a 5-4 shift when entering a curved transition ramp from a freeway. In a 25mph/40kph zone, I usually hold third gear, to give me a bit more control and to reduce my tendency to exceed the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
"... helpful hint: if you're in D, make sure you dont try to shift and accidentally go into neutral instead. i've done this many atime and it probably makes you look/sound pretty silly."

x3 hahaha

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
jeffbaynard said:
"... helpful hint: if you're in D, make sure you dont try to shift and accidentally go into neutral instead. i've done this many atime and it probably makes you look/sound pretty silly."

x3 hahaha
thats why i leave mine in tipmode ,cant happen that way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts