Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know that several people (ok, maybe just a couple) have done the switch from tip to manual. What did it cost you? (minus the cost of the tranny) Just wondering.

tanks

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that is really not true......I know of someone who just got a quote (i just saw this like 2 minutes ago) to do the swap for $1000......two days work and ECU reprogramming. If you factor in the cost of the transmission, it is not that bad. The way I figure it, I was thinking of going with the Dahlback 6 speed which, even if I had a manual already, would cost $4995. So, 1 grand to put it in is not really an issue at that point.

·
Registered
606 Posts
also, as far as total cost goes versus buying a new car, the car he has might already be really nice/have alot of aftermarket parts installed. mine is a 98 with stick and leather etc. it seems to be really hard to find nice interiors with stick, since tiptronic is bundled in with those stupid option packages. i know if doing this conversion the 'easy' way meant downgrading to cloth, i would swap the 'hard' way.

·
Registered
631 Posts
GAPassatman said:
yeah, i am actually talking to him right now
That's funny, I emailed him a few days ago asking him about doing this conversion too... He said he has a parts list of everything required. Have you heard anything from him yet?

Do you have an estimate of what a new transmission will cost and associated parts?

I thought about just getting another Passat that was a manual, but like smugfree said, I don't really want to swap all my parts...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
GAPassatman said:
well, that is really not true......I know of someone who just got a quote (i just saw this like 2 minutes ago) to do the swap for $1000......two days work and ECU reprogramming. If you factor in the cost of the transmission, it is not that bad. The way I figure it, I was thinking of going with the Dahlback 6 speed which, even if I had a manual already, would cost $4995. So, 1 grand to put it in is not really an issue at that point.
I do not see any info on Dahlback site and Momentum site as well, regarding 6-speed trannies for Passats. :sad:
Is this Dahlback 6-speed sequential (they have it for other VAG models) or just plain manual?
Can you please send link regarding Passat tranny from Dahlback?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the transmission link

The page here says that when you get the 1.8T package for 330 hp and up that the 6 speed tranny is recommended, so I guess that would mean that it fits the 1.8T, right?

·
Registered
854 Posts
madigan said:
GAPassatman said:
yeah, i am actually talking to him right now
That's funny, I emailed him a few days ago asking him about doing this conversion too... He said he has a parts list of everything required. Have you heard anything from him yet?

Do you have an estimate of what a new transmission will cost and associated parts?

I thought about just getting another Passat that was a manual, but like smugfree said, I don't really want to swap all my parts...

Thanks!
Im sorry i havent get back to you... i usually get home sometimes really late... but IM later on AOL... and ill explain to you what i have researched and found... what i have purchased to do the swap...

Just AOL IM me later today.. around 9pm eastern time.

Peace,

John

·
Registered
631 Posts
vteccured said:
Im sorry i havent get back to you... i usually get home sometimes really late... but IM later on AOL... and ill explain to you what i have researched and found... what i have purchased to do the swap...

Just AOL IM me later today.. around 9pm eastern time.

Peace,

John
No problem John. I know you are busy. Unfortunately, I'm not on AOL and don't have any IM software....would you mind PM or emailing me? Thanks.

Mark

[email protected]

·
Registered
854 Posts
My car will be going in to the hospital on Tues for its trans transplant....

Ill update you and everyone else any complications that i have encounter, and what i have decided to do to fix it..

But im going to be working with great people that understand VW/audi inside out...

Wish her luck, and get well soon... lol

John

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is not the right place to do this... but i would like to give you guys a head start since this post is about trans conversions...

I will have this clutch/flywheel for sale very soon...

If interested , please PM me...

As you can see, its still within its wrapping , but it has been removed to check its part numbers... Its a stage 3 clutch, 6-puck ceremic clutch with a lightweight flywheel... from SPEC

This is what you need to perform a trans conversion

·
Registered
854 Posts
VDUBRACER187 said:
john, you are the man for putting a manual trans into your :b5:
if i saw your car completed, and realized it was a tip, i would probobly cry :( :cry:
but im glad to see your making the switch :thumbup:
-Chris :wink:
yeah man... it has to be done... this project wouldnt be done if i had purchased a stick from the beginning...

But i bought this car cheap from an auction and i had no choice at all... i went after the $ and the type of car it was...

But it will soon be completed.... only time will tell.

lol

john

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.