Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
This has had me wondering for a while now. I would think that eventually that Audi will instill the Direct Gear Shift into the A4, which means that down the line we B5er's might be able to retrofit, granted it won't be cheap but man it would be awesome to do it. Just a thought.
Now as for the pedals that's just awesome, my wallet on the other hand certainly thinks otherwise.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The principle of the tiptronic shifter is a three positon switch. position #1 lets the TCM know that the car is in tip mode the other two positons #2 and #3 is for gear changes that mean paddle or button shifts can't be that hard to do. Essentially you can wire a switch to each position #2 and position#3 to effect gear change. If someone can get me the paddle and the steering colunm covers part numbers half the job would be done. then you could decide whether you want to shift with the lever or the paddles. All of this information can be found in a Bently manual. :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that the new V8 powered Audi S4(8E chassis) has the tiptronic with the paddle shitfer so when the start showing up at the dealer we can go check them out and see the the steering column pieces can be used. :thumbup:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
phantom,

If the levers don't move with the wheel, then it may be as easy as you say. Most likely they turn with the wheel which means a new wheel (and air bag), and the plate that allows all the circuits to pass thru the pivot point (we got on if we use the multifunction already, but there'll be 2 to 4 more contacts on it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pass I don't think the paddle move with the weel the paddle look like they are mounted to the column I looked and and exploded diagram on one the site the nenad has linked. The paddle assemble looks stationery like the turn signal control. The best thing for you to do is the next time euro show is near you go see it because I am sure sooner or later a tt 3.2 with DSG will be on display. Some else will have to do it because I won't see any cars like that on my island.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well pass you know what you have to do. :roll: If your :D car was only a track car you could probably get a sparco steering wheel with the red buttons and wire them up to shift the gears. :puke: Don't say it I know that was a sick idea.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know I think the Phantom gas it right. MOMO makes a two button steering wheel switch too. That would be cool. But is there a was to disable the Airbag light if you remove the airbag?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
1BadWGN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing