Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that thread was VERY helpful :bow: :bow: , but did not really compare this mod to simply putting the car in 4th (not in tip mode). I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has done this mod to see how it compares.

·
Registered
832 Posts
just keeping the car in 4th

faroodi said:
did not really compare this mod to simply putting the car in 4th (not in tip mode).
As I read it, the short version is this:

"Sport" mode makes the tranny hold each gear a bit longer (not just 4th) and makes downshifts come with less pedal.

Keeping the car in 4th means you do not have access to 5th gear. The shifting strategy (upshifts and downshifts) remains the same.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I played around with using 4th some before I made the change to sport mode. it seemed to help a little, maybe ocasionally downshifting into first a bit quicker, but didn't really fix the DBW problem that was bugging me.

Sport mode is much more drastic, by comparison.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
DBW is Drive By Wire. I believe that only B5.5's have this. Instead of a throttle cable, a computer misjudges how much gas you want and delivers this info to the engine. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimbob said:
DBW is Drive By Wire. I believe that only B5.5's have this. Instead of a throttle cable, a computer misjudges how much gas you want and delivers this info to the engine. :roll: :lol:
Thanks. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
faroodi
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing