Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I revisited a mod I had done years back to make the Tiptroniic shift from the steering wheel, I used little pushbuttons to control the tcm, but didn't ever get the multi wheel.. I designed a new way today ..without a new wheel, or a change of the clockspring ...nada...

I revised it and it is soooo cool

So now when the shifter is in the tip position it turns the windshield washer pulse arm into upshift, and turns the high beam pulse into downshift, you can have it either way depending on switching two wires.

It only disables the factory setup while in tip mode, if you are in standard auto, the high beam and windshield washer pulses operate like factory..
It also will not have an electrical connection to the tcm if it is not in tip mode, that is why I used the Tip sense wire for activating the circuit, because it needs to see the sense wire to be in Tip mode, and it is the perfect least complicated way of exchanging function of the arms.

I can make a few of these if anyone wants to tackle it...

I like it....

TJ

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Looks good, now all we need is an idiots guide with pictures.
I may even post it myself if you don't mind TJ

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dude! I've had this very same idea for the last couple of years, but never had the stones to do it. :bow: :bow: :bow: to you...

...AND SHOW US THOSE PICTURES! :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
Just got home from work, I drove with a big ol' latte in one hand and finger shifted thru turns....it is sooo friggin cool...

The tip shift works on top of the "paddles" like factory, the only downside right now is I have a slight click thru the speakers on the tip mode activation...the relay needs either "cleaner" ground or different power source, I have a little ground loop on that one only...dead silent on the shifts....so the other 4 relays are golden, I will probaby move the activating relay to the same points as the shift ones to "star" ground it.

If I can breadboard this thing with clean isolated circuits, do you think I have a marketable device? How much is it worth, if I included high rez pics and a fool-proof DIY set of instructions?

TJ

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellow B5ers always get priority, I was talking about a box that has discrete components so you don't use the 5 bulky relays... with 6 wires that come out of it done.

As far as DIY, as long as I can name it, I will pass it on :)

I will snap some pics soon....stay tuned...

TJ

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys, I have recieved a response from a company, they want to help develop this, I have to pull down the diagram to begin the patent process.

I know it seems scummy of me, but I would like to market this to all cars not just VAG cars if possible..

Be sure when it's done B5ers get first shot..

If it does not pan out, I will repost the info...

Hope you understand

TJ[/b]

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a 5-speed manual... but this is a VERY COOL mod!
Nice work. I am envious of your craftiness.

I'll bet if you could board this, and make it a moderately simple install, you'd be able to sell it. I'd also recommend using electronic isolated relays, rather than mechanical ones.

I'm a Marketing manager for an electronics firm, and I'd say this idea has potential for about $25K worth of sales. You could probably see up to $50K, if we could isolate the circuit, so that it didn't interfere with high beam flash or the pulse wipe.

Just my 2 cents...

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
SUH FKN WEET!

Great mod! lookin' forward to details of a functioning live walkthough.
anyone done this yet??

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I'd buy one too if it was boarded / boxed and a simple 5/6 wire mod performed in one location .. Anyone check the wiring on the B5.5 tip 4Mo to see if the same?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I'm in for one. In fact, I'd drive over to your place next weekend to install it if possible.

My only concern is that I often drive in tip and still use my high beams/washers. I guess in tip, this module would bypass both of those features.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
LOL, that is awesome! :lol: That's the craftiest mod I've seen yet for the B5. NICE.

Next step is to rig up some new/replacement buttons on the multifunction steering wheel a-la Porsche (i.e. the spot below 'CANCEL' is open)!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.