Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not really surprised by that to be honest. Getting a good tune dialed in makes a lot of difference on these cars. Hence the reason I want to go with Eurodyne when I get the chance. However that still doesn't address the reason why I couldn't boost past 19 PSI during that dyno session.

As for how it stacks up to mine (assuming that's why you posted the link), I really couldn't care less. I said in my earlier posts that the results are what they are and I want them to compare driveline losses, not to compare them directly to other dyno results. I'm not about to start playing the "well if I did this..." game. I know my setup is quick and the owner of the shop (who regularly plays with 500+ HP cars) who took a ride with me after the dyno session agrees, so go figure...

Besides, if I really have that much power left on the table before the 5 speed swap and a better tune then so much the better. More fun for me once I get the swap done :driving:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Have you ever logged your IAT? One reason your boost could be limiting is because of safety detuning by the program due to high IAT. I just replaced my partially smashed FMIC with a new one and completely eliminated some boost stall in upper rpm range. Before smashing it was beast and I just couldn't believe it made that much of a difference. No leaks, just yhe bottom few rows of the core compressed together, enough to limit flow and due a worse job of cooling the charge air.

Here's the FMIC I have now. Beautifully made unit, plenty for our applications, mounts below the bumper guard.

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/products/Kinetic_Motorsport_350_Intercooler-499-11.html

BTW, there has to be some tuning out there you can find to blow up this turbo. Keep the faith.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, it turns out there was some adjustment left on the wastegate. When I did the 5 speed swap I found out that ATP has a screw inside the wastegate actuator arm. I ended up tightening the wastegate another 1.5 turns. However I'll need to wait a few more days until the clutch is broken in before I can go WOT to see if it made a difference.

·
Registered
668 Posts
and heres a thread clicky clicky of a guy with stock SMIC, stock exhaust on PUMP gas that ran 252WHP 242ft/[email protected]
I bet that car was also tested at a much lower elevation and lets not forget that a TIP transmission is going to have a bit more driveline loss then a manual.

BTW a correct size FMIC is going to flow way more air then a SMIC that is way too small for the turbo and as we know without air your not going to make the power the turbo can actually produce. This is eactly why a Elim kit with a good FMIC is going to actually put down more power to the wheels then a Elim kit with a stock SMIC.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is eactly why a Elim kit with a good FMIC is going to actually put down more power to the wheels then a Elim kit with a stock SMIC.
Here's hoping, by the way do you know if a 24 inch wide and 3 in thick intercooler will fit behind an A4 bumper? As far as I can tell, the Passat's are a little wider than an A4 so I figure if it can fit an A4 it should fit a Passat. The only concern I have is that the Passat bumpers are more rounded than their A4 counterparts so the bumper radius may cut into the intercooler space.

PS: the intercooler that I plan on getting is the Mishimoto G line one I posted the link for earlier.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How tall?

It is very hard to fit that size if it is tall, problem on the A4 bumper is that the space behind the bumper/valance gets much smaller the lower you go. So to fit a 3" you would have to have it pretty high and it cant be all that wide.

Some one fit a ER Comp kit behind a B5 bumper but he pretty much had to gutt it and cut the hell out of it to make it fit.

Even those that tried to fit a 2.75" thick core behind the stock B5 A4 bumper had to do plenty of trimming.

I have been planning to do a test fit of a Racetec FMIC on a B5.5 Passat, might see if I can test fit the ER comp at the same time. Just waiting for Racetec to get their B6 kit back in stock.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
24.5" x 11.75" x 3" Here's the link http://www.cooldirect.ca/catalog/mishimotouniversalintercoolerglineblack-p-3957.html I'd consider a Z line http://www.cooldirect.ca/catalog/mishimotouniversalintercoolerzlineblack-p-3955.html However their peak pressure ratings are only 21 PSI. The guy I spoke to said they could survive more than that for short periods of time. However in the long run I may experience a failure. The good new is that Mishimoto is pretty good about honoring their lifetime warranty. Although they may not replace them ad-nauseum, I'd probably at least get one replacement if it blew up.

I may just go with a Z line for now (funds are tight) and upgrade down the road when my funds allow for it. However I'd like to go with the G line if possible.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That size is way too tall for a A4 bumper. I had a 3" core that was around 10" tall on my stock A4 bumper and I had to cut the top of the bumper for it to sit flush since the core could not be pushed down far enough and that was with no AC core.

Here are a few pictures of it that is on the 034 web site.

Here you can actually see the top of the core.

Wow that takes me back, 2005 and only making 488awhp. lol

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hmm, well I may end up having to go with the Z line for the time being. Oh well, at least it saves me $40. I guess I'm probably only going to be running 21-22 PSI until I get my rods done anyway.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How much more room is there behind the B5 Passat bumper compared to the B5 A4 bumper?

Just wondering if the ER comp will fit behind the passat bumper. ER has a Passat listing for the Comp on their parts list but it isn't listed on their site.

If there are any B5 Passat owners in the Murrieta/Temecula area that wouldn't mind letting me test fit the ER kit on their car please let me know.

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
The Passat has a lot more room than the A4. I would not be surprised to see that IC fit.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do you figure? I was talking to the owner of Calgary Autoworks the other day and he figured it would fit. However they've never had to fit one with those dimensions to a Passat, so he couldn't say for sure. However if PZ figures it's going to work I'm inclined to trust the voice of experience. Besides, who needs a crash bumper anyways? :lol:

PS: Mike, nice color on the A4, it's Captain approved :thumbup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah I haven't had to deal with fitting a FMIC on a B5 Passat yet so I am not sure how much more room there is behind its bumper vs the B5 A4. I do know to fit that big of a core on a B5 A4 a B5 S4 bumper comes in handy which has enough room for a 3.5" thick core.

Has anyone on this forum posted up pictures of that large of a FMIC on a B5 Passat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you figure? I was talking to the owner of Calgary Autoworks the other day and he figured it would fit. However they've never had to fit one with those dimensions to a Passat, so he couldn't say for sure. However if PZ figures it's going to work I'm inclined to trust the voice of experience. Besides, who needs a crash bumper anyways? :lol:

PS: Mike, nice color on the A4, it's Captain approved :thumbup:
hey T, did you ever end up getting a fmic? if so, what did you go with?
how is the GT elim treating you so far?
maybe i shouldn't ask too many questions, as i have started feeling an itch to go BT lately, and i don't think this is a good time for it (wife is preggers with number 2 right now, so less money for toys now lol)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah I haven't had to deal with fitting a FMIC on a B5 Passat yet so I am not sure how much more room there is behind its bumper vs the B5 A4. I do know to fit that big of a core on a B5 A4 a B5 S4 bumper comes in handy which has enough room for a 3.5" thick core.

Has anyone on this forum posted up pictures of that large of a FMIC on a B5 Passat?

Thanks.
No pics but there is a shit load more room in a Passat..........unlike the A4.I wedged a 3" in my A4. Had to chop up the reinforcement bar, and I got rid of the A/C. The only thing that sticks out is the piping so I can't get the side grills in, but it is so close. If I was useing 2" pipes I could get the grills on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah the problem with a 3" fmic on a A4 is that you cant put it low enough to get good air flow on most of the core. If the car isn't making enough power to need a tall 3" core then thinner tall core is the better choice.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah the problem with a 3" fmic on a A4 is that you cant put it low enough to get good air flow on most of the core. If the car isn't making enough power to need a tall 3" core then thinner tall core is the better choice.
I don't know the exact measurement, but it is as wide as the radiator and 3" thick. I am pushing 24psi in 2nd and up with a MBC and N75j set up with a KO4 and a PC16 file with 310cc inj. When I relaced the cluth last time I port matched the exhaust manifold to the turbo and head and polished it. VR6 TB, ICM delete, cat delete through 2.25 SS. I think it runs pretty good I like pissing off Mustangs. I can't wait to roll out my V8 S10.......500hp and 3400lbs.:lol:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts