Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has an 02 GLX with the Tiptronic automatic and im not familiar with VW's at all. Im wondering how you check the transmission fluid and what type of fluid does it take if its low? I see no obvious dipstick under the hood for it. Call me dumb but I dont see anything in the manual for it either. And also, whats the fluid change interval on that? Shes got 66K on it and its never been done. Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's not very convenient to check, I'm afraid. There's a fill/check plug on the transmission pan on the bottom of the car. With the car off the ground but level AND the engine running AND the transmission at operating temperature according to VAG-COM or the dealer's diagnostic tool, the fluid level should be even with that fill plug. You can't see it, you're just supposed to fill until fluid starts coming back out of the hole.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

VW's official position is that the transmission fluid is lifetime and it should not have to be checked or changed. The position taken by forum members here is that dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket at least every 60K is an exceedingly smart investment in your car. If you aren't scared to get your hands dirty, the URL above explains everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Talked to the local AAMCO about just this subject (changing the fluid), and they said no problem doing it, although I'd be better off providing the fluid and filter (since they are not normally stocked by AAMCO, since nobody apparently changes their fluid in the Tiptronic to their knowledge. Also talked to the dealer about it, and they quoted about $400 to do it, and said they very rarely ever do the service for anyone. Looks like I'll be doing this sometime in the near future though...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
GearHd6 said:
My girlfriend has an 02 GLX with the Tiptronic automatic and im not familiar with VW's at all. Im wondering how you check the transmission fluid and what type of fluid does it take if its low? I see no obvious dipstick under the hood for it. Call me dumb but I dont see anything in the manual for it either. And also, whats the fluid change interval on that? Shes got 66K on it and its never been done. Thanks!
There are lots of threads on this subject of VW's "lifetime" ATF. IMO, if you want peace of mind find an independent Audi/VW shop to change it (I got a quote of $221 for filter and fluid) or DIY for about $100 + (which I plan to do). Be sure you read the treads on how to change the fluid and filter first though if you plan on doing it yourself. I have 98k on my 2000 V6 with no tranny problems. I have the VW 10 year / 100k powertrain warranty so I haven't changed the fluid yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts