Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:???:

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
My tiptronic gearshift has a crack along the top (where the palm of your hand would rest on it).

Could this be caused by the very cold temperatures we have had here (below zero)?

I'm not sure how long it has been cracked, as it is very difficult to notice.
But of course now I see it everyday!

Also, is there anyway to fix this?
Would I have to sand it down and re-lacquer it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
"wood"? if yes, than there is not much to do aside to have new. It is not cracked lacque, it is "wooden" plate that is prone to cracking.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nenad said:
"wood"? if yes, than there is not much to do aside to have new. It is not cracked lacque, it is "wooden" plate that is prone to cracking.
Yes, it is wood.

Hmmm, any idea how much a new shifter goes for?

Thanks again!

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Mine's cracked (it may look like wood, but it ain't... plastic.

Don't know how long mine has been that way either. As you mentioned, it's barely noticable.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pass-variant said:
(it may look like wood, but it ain't... plastic.
Really?
What about the rest of the interior?
If it isn't real wood, it certainly looks VERY realistic (at least to me).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
As far as I know it is very thin plate of wood (like on some types of furniture, you know..those that you can separate "wood patern" with fingernails from "base") on top of plastic and layer of lacque above. So it is not "solid" wood but "wood". Probably one log is enough for whole year of VW production :lol:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cracked knob

It's a wood veneer. Mine cracked a while ago. Started on the back toward the dashboard and gradually worked its way all the way around. After the dealer quoted me $200+ to replace it I had Hoodwink 55 in Germany get me the knob from the Audi TT 3.2 instead in a group buy. If you can get a replacement for yours off a wreck at a "used auto parts" yard, it only takes about 15 minutes to change.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
It sure wasent b/c of the weather. Here where im from we had temperatures at the -50c with the wind chill, and my shifter was fine. The only probles that i had with the car was that my door latch froze open sometime and it took a hair dry to stick it, But then it froze shout on me and i had to take it back to the dealership. And Then due to the cold my inner door Handle/ Arm rest broke off in my hand. Good old Warranty. And finally this all happended 4 days after i bought it. :mad: But all better now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts