Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Just got a sub and an amp installed in my passat and it sounds really good on the inside...BUT on the outside of the car it sounds like hell. I've narrowed down two major points of rattle. My license plate, which I have taken care of with some rubberizing. And what seems to be the trunk lock mechanism.

I took off the part over top of it and poked around a bit but didn't really know what to do. Sounds like someone is firing a machine gun back there and I'd like it to go away. Two things I notice...put the trunk up sounds great! Obviously I can't drive around like this. Press on the middle of my license plate with a little force and the rattle all but dissapears.

If anyone has had experience with this or tips...please help.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
same problem here ...but i got alota junk in da trunk..2 12's
it sounds like there is bomb going off inside my trunk every .4 seconds and my trunk lid is gonna bust !! :p

any suggestions would help me too...i got the licence plate resolved aslo.
but it's still sounds bad from outside

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Dynamat is not a cure-all for rattles. If you don't apply it to the area that's making noise it won't do squat. You need to find the exact piece rattling and put something between the parts that are touching. That's all. You'd be surprised how far a little piece of foam will go to silencing a trunk rattle.

Paul :thumbup:

p.s. Branden - I saw the MO was delivered today. Everything look ok with it?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Anytime! Thanks for hooking me up with the tail. I''m getting all antsy. I get my car back in about a week and my wife comes home in a month. If all goes well I should have my suspension on by then too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love using poly-fil to fix rattles in my car...My trunk lid is full of it, not to mention other places in my trunk. I go to walmart and buy the 10lb boxes of it for like 7 bucks and just shove it in spaces till it wont go anymore. Doesnt cost hardly anything, and it's easy to shove in places. Expanding foam (called "great stuff") is also easy to get into places, but I had a bad experience with that stuff one time, and havent touched it since - it's virtually impossible to get off of paint...And you might be suprised at how much it continues to expand. I stay away from it, but it will do the same thing if you think you can pull it off.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
DaddyO said:
Never said that Dynamat wa the cure all. Was only give an opinion as to a starting point. I also use foam, especially in hard to reach places :D
DaddyO - My comment wasn't directed at you in particular. I was just making sure he knew he didn't have to spend a ton of money on a product that wasn't designed for that in the first place.

Captain - Have you ever tried silicone in the trunk braces where they connect to the trunk skin? I've found it works a bit better and I don't have to worry about it water logging if it gets wet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
QS - yeah, i tried that one time, but on some cars they are too far apart, and you just cant fill the gap. I dont really remember what the inside of our trunk lids looks like, but I dont think you can really silicone it all together. Besides, the sound deadening material I use is so cheap, i just put it whereever i fell like and dont worry about it - b-quiet extreme
www.b-quiet.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts