Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trans is making funny noises....it started as just a slight grind noise when accelerating hard (at each shift point, i'd hear it)...but now it's starting to get worse and happnes pretty much every time I come to a stop and idle, it sounds like teeth grinding, once i get going it stops. Or sometimes it doesn't happen when i'm idling but the second i hit the gas (at a stop light for example) i hear it again for a couple seconds then goes away.

I know it's the trans as if i put it in Park or Nuatral it stops, but once i move it back to Drive it starts up again.

Anyone have any idea how much a rebuild costs on a tip trans (AWM engine, 2001.5)

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
yeesh, that sucks. you might be able to pick one up at a junkyard with low mileage for less than the cost of a rebuild...
and then rebuild the old one yourself, and save cash and learn something at the same time...?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Limey, before assuming that your tranny got some internal problems, check the fluid in your transmission first. It is probably low or contaminated. Flush transmission fluid and replace transmission filter. This can cause grinding noise at "Drive" too.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Limey, before assuming that your tranny got some internal problems, check the fluid in your transmission first. It is probably low or contaminated. Flush transmission fluid and replace transmission filter. This can cause grinding noise at "Drive" too.
Cool i'll check that out, thanks!!

·
Registered
28,327 Posts
It's worth a shot to change the fluid and filter but I expect your Torque converter is toast.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i kinda have the same problem but it only grinds when slowing from 45 tolike 35 then it goes away... i also get a small kick when i stop hard and it shifts from 2nd to 1st..... thread hijacked:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

·
Registered
185 Posts
i just had that problem but i replaced my tranny, and it is as good as new, but today it was kinda rough for some reason, but it is still smoother than before. i am not sure what the problem is but its definately from the transmission.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My trans is making funny noises....it started as just a slight grind noise when accelerating hard (at each shift point, i'd hear it)...but now it's starting to get worse and happnes pretty much every time I come to a stop and idle, it sounds like teeth grinding, once i get going it stops. Or sometimes it doesn't happen when i'm idling but the second i hit the gas (at a stop light for example) i hear it again for a couple seconds then goes away.

I know it's the trans as if i put it in Park or Nuatral it stops, but once i move it back to Drive it starts up again.
The situations where you describe the problem happening are situations where the torque converter has the highest slip speed.

The torque converter manages the coupling between the engine and the transmission. It's a hydraulic device that transmits the engine's torque to the transmission, allowing a limited amount of slip. Built into the torque converter is an electronically-controlled clutch, managed by the transmission controller module, which can be used to directly couple the engine and transmission. It's used during normal cruising to eliminate that slip, which helps fuel economy. The TC clutch can be partly or fully engaged.

In gear at a stoplight, the TC has to slip to allow the engine to keep turning with the transmission input not turning, because you're holding the car/drivetrain still with the brakes. When shifting or accelerating aggressively, the TC can be allowed varying degrees of slip to smooth things out, or to let the engine rev slightly higher and make more overall power. In normal cruising or light acceleration, the TC lockup clutch is used, and the TC slip speed should be reduced or made zero. In Park or Neutral, I believe the transmission input shaft can spin freely, which means almost no TC slip or stress.

If you can make this happen by accelerating at cruise speeds, see if you can make it happen in Tip mode driving. Tip mode will still have to open the TC clutch for actual shifting, but it's a lot less willing to unlock the TC clutch while cruising around in a given gear. Gives you more of that "manual" directly-connected feel. You really need a competent tranny technician to make a final diagnosis, someone who can see and hear and test your car in person, but your symptoms point away from the transmission's internal gears and clutches in my opinion and more toward the TC or an associated hydraulic problem.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
i kinda have the same problem but it only grinds when slowing from 45 tolike 35 then it goes away... i also get a small kick when i stop hard and it shifts from 2nd to 1st..... thread hijacked:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
WHAT CAUSES THIS ? CAUSE IM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM AS OF LAST WEEK ..... THE HARD SHIFTS FROM 2 GOING DOWN TO 1ST

(02 V6 GLX 4MOTION WAGON)

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE tia

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The situations where you describe the problem happening are situations where the torque converter has the highest slip speed.

The torque converter manages the coupling between the engine and the transmission. It's a hydraulic device that transmits the engine's torque to the transmission, allowing a limited amount of slip. Built into the torque converter is an electronically-controlled clutch, managed by the transmission controller module, which can be used to directly couple the engine and transmission. It's used during normal cruising to eliminate that slip, which helps fuel economy. The TC clutch can be partly or fully engaged.

In gear at a stoplight, the TC has to slip to allow the engine to keep turning with the transmission input not turning, because you're holding the car/drivetrain still with the brakes. When shifting or accelerating aggressively, the TC can be allowed varying degrees of slip to smooth things out, or to let the engine rev slightly higher and make more overall power. In normal cruising or light acceleration, the TC lockup clutch is used, and the TC slip speed should be reduced or made zero. In Park or Neutral, I believe the transmission input shaft can spin freely, which means almost no TC slip or stress.

If you can make this happen by accelerating at cruise speeds, see if you can make it happen in Tip mode driving. Tip mode will still have to open the TC clutch for actual shifting, but it's a lot less willing to unlock the TC clutch while cruising around in a given gear. Gives you more of that "manual" directly-connected feel. You really need a competent tranny technician to make a final diagnosis, someone who can see and hear and test your car in person, but your symptoms point away from the transmission's internal gears and clutches in my opinion and more toward the TC or an associated hydraulic problem.
THanks for that! makes perfect sense. I'm having my indy guy doa tranny service soon so he'll be able to tell me wha'ts up. I'm thinking of trying to go Level 10 too. Beef the trans up a bit (then I might have a k04 for sale so I can get a 28r or something, :rolleyes: :lol: )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same exact issue with my 98 passat. Is the only fix for this a new transmission? I was told it would be 1800 to fix. Does this seem like a good price.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
^ is it grinding or do you feel hard shifts/jerks ...?
if you do drop the pan and see metal shavings on the magnets at the bottom of the pans then you might wanna start looking for a tranny .,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts