Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto has been shifting through to 5th before I hit 70kms. it is when I'm just cruisin.

Just wondering if this is common or if there is something wrong with mine.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
If you are just cruising, then that's normal. The tranny is programmed to shift very early under light load. I guess they do this for "gas mileage..." argh...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes this is normal for my 99 1.8T Auto/Tip.

It shifts so quickly through gears it amazes me. My friends get in the car and they cant believe how quick it goes through gears, it really annoys the hell outta me.

Rusty- You say "gas Mileage" But sometimes i feel like its dogging to get up in hills in 4th gear when it should be in 3rd. Seems to me that uses more gas mileage.

I also wonder if it was always in sports mode, the tranny would probobly last longer, less shifts, less problems down the road. just a guess.

And Muskwrath, if u get into 5th to early i usually just throw it into Tiptronic and that way you stay in 4th. Or put in 4th in auto mode.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Based on the title of this thread, I was at first jealous of your little "problem."
I'd love it if my tip shifted gears in less than a second. :D

On topic, set sport mode. It will however hurt your mileage if you drive anything above 5/10ths.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Krazybones024 said:
Yes this is normal for my 99 1.8T Auto/Tip.
It shifts so quickly through gears it amazes me. My friends get in the car and they cant believe how quick it goes through gears, it really annoys the hell outta me.
Agreed - it is normal. And, BTW, it's a h*ll of a lot better than my Focus automatic (high-revving Zetec motor) which shifts down with even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal and goes out of lock-up if you just get close to coasting. That's REALLY annoying. I wish that one shifted like the Tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts