Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from fellow Passat owners who have knowledge of tip trannys.
I'm looking to replace my kid's '02 Golf GLS 2.0 MT5 with a Jetta wagon 1.8T as I'm both underwhelmed by the 2.0 engine and my son could use more room to haul stuff as college students need to do. I've found a really clean low milage loaded '03 Jetta 1.8T wagon but it has the tip tranny which I know nothing about as far as upkeep and reliability. I was hoping to find a manual tranny wagon but they are extremely rare. What do I need to look for and what can I expect top deal with in respect to the tranny?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
nuno - is that a shameless bump to promote your tip wagon once again? lol

i think manx was not asking reliability of tip relative to mods but general maintenance and wear and tear. my 04 tip has not given me any issues so far and based on what i've read from the forums in the past year or two, i can't recall any major tip tranny failure.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
The Tip tranny in the transverse engines (Jetta, Golf) is totally different than the longitudinal tip (passat, audi). It is japanese (not ZF), and IIRC takes "standard" tranny fluid. IMO it should be far more reliable than the Tips in the Passat. I wouldn't worry about it.

evilvariant said:
i cannot think of any tip problems. if you keep it stock there is no reason ever switch your tip fluid.
I disagree. You should still perform normal maintenance on a tranny.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
1.8Tttturbo said:
... based on what i've read from the forums in the past year or two, i can't recall any major tip tranny failure.
Well, juliejulie immediately comes to mind. And I know there have been others, although I think most of the early failures were due to lack of fluid changes until it was too late. Since VW/ZF have now modified their recommended change interval from *never* (shakes head in disbelief) to 60K miles, I think these trannies should be OK.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Rusty said:
The Tip tranny in the transverse engines (Jetta, Golf) is totally different than the longitudinal tip (passat, audi). It is japanese (not ZF), and IIRC takes "standard" tranny fluid. IMO it should be far more reliable than the Tips in the Passat. I wouldn't worry about it.

I disagree. You should still perform normal maintenance on a tranny.
i agree but talking from a "warranty" point of view.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hate to be negative (really, I do) buuuut, I have had real problems with a used tip passat, so would caution anyone who is thinking of getting one to seriously test out the tranny before purchase (in retrospect I probably could have found out that this car I have had "issues" at the time I bought it if I had known what to look for, it had the jerky shifting right away after I brought it home - each time I had test driven it at the dealer it had been warmed up).

In addition to my current 1999 1.8T tiptronic passat monster, I have owned both a tiptronic Jetta (2003 TDI which I only drove for 25,000 miles but had zero problems with) and a manual B5 (2001 1.8T). I would take the manual back in a heartbeat over the others.

That's my opinion!

Oh, and Rusty, thanks for thinking of me! :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
reguardless of what tranny type when you buy a used car..generally you should test it and inspect it before you buy. might have been the person who previously owned it that hammered the tranny to the ground.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Does your son's 2.0 MT have a chip in it? You'd be surprised how much the 2.slow wakes up with a chip:) I've got a GIAC chip in my older '96 Jetta 2.0 (stick) and it made a night and day difference in the way the car drove.....with a MT5, chip and exhaust, it's fun:)

Ben

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jettix2 said:
Does your son's 2.0 MT have a chip in it? You'd be surprised how much the 2.slow wakes up with a chip:) I've got a GIAC chip in my older '96 Jetta 2.0 (stick) and it made a night and day difference in the way the car drove.....with a MT5, chip and exhaust, it's fun:)

Ben
No chip installed. It might wake up a dull engine but it will do nothing to solve the other problem which is lack of space. I didn't think there was that much difference in usable space between the Golf and Jetta wagon until I saw them both side by side with the rear hatches open and rear seats put down. It also helps that the Jetta has no lip in the way of load-in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts