Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some spray tint from my buddy at a local car shop. it was free so i figure i tape up the back and throw on some tint. Not bad if i say so myself. hopefully the weather will turn better this weekend and i can do the rest (mirror signals and front signals)

·
Registered
707 Posts
You don't need to crack anything open. And the easiest way to spray tint the tails is to just remove them. There held in with 3 10mm screws. Then you just clean the lens really well and spray away. I sprayed RWMs tht way and they came out great. I used lamin-x on mine

On RWMs I used night shade spray tint

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
707 Posts
With lamin-x the film is the tint and you just put the film on the tail light.(this is what I have on my tail/head lights)

With the spray tint you apply it to the surface of the tail light lens. Down the road if you want to remove it you can wipe it off with brake cleaner also (this is what I did to RWMs and many friends cars)

*****Word of advice*****

The spray tint looks cool but it can be difficult to get all 4 lights to have the tint match perfectly. Also if you don't spray correct you herbal matte look.

The film is even tint. It just takes a little more time to apply.

Either way its not hard. But Spray tinting is cheaper but more difficult to do correct.

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
148 Posts
The reason I ask so many questions is because here is what I did to my previous car and I didn't apply the film, just sprayed them

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like the tint, it does look very sharp. I am to chicken to do that because with my luck, someone will rear end me and then I'll get sued because my tail lights were tinted and they would claim it reduced their ability to stop in time Bla bla bla BS BS... and when all is said in done, I am out a car and a cardboard box load of cash.

I got sued once because of "failure to follow manufactures recommendations"
This world is crazy

·
Registered
707 Posts
I like the tint, it does look very sharp. I am to chicken to do that because with my luck, someone will rear end me and then I'll get sued because my tail lights were tinted and they would claim it reduced their ability to stop in time Bla bla bla BS BS... and when all is said in done, I am out a car and a cardboard box load of cash.

I got sued once because of "failure to follow manufactures recommendations"
This world is crazy
There are technically no laws on tail light tint in most states. But esp with our led tails you'll never have an issue with the light not being visible.

You can just go with a light coat of spray tint. Or a light tint film.

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey i just taped them up with some 2 inch blue painters tape, sprayed it and let it dry for 20 min or so. its the same spray that advance auto parts carries. ill get the name and let yall know. and it doesnt effect the light out put that much either. leds are F***in awesome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but one thing i WONT do is tint the headlights. my buddy has a 06 jetta and he used the film tint on his headlights and cause he added hids, caused them to warp and eventually crack. causes to much heat build up cause hids run hotter. so a fair warning to anyone trying to tint their lights.

·
Registered
707 Posts
but one thing i WONT do is tint the headlights. my buddy has a 06 jetta and he used the film tint on his headlights and cause he added hids, caused them to warp and eventually crack. causes to much heat build up cause hids run hotter. so a fair warning to anyone trying to tint their lights.
ive had film tints on my headlights for well over a year (with HIDs). the tint isn't insulation enough to hold in tht much heat. His headlight housings warped prob bc he did something like a 55 watt HID kit

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used the Night Shade stuff you can get at Autozone on My Mustang. I wet sanded and buffed mine to almost perfect OEM look. I'm doing the Passat as soon as it warms up around here
You can see how red the lights where buy looking at the 3rd brake light

·
Registered
707 Posts
Will it pass VA. inspection?? cause when i did my Integra Rears they told me no clear reverse lights = failed inspection..
I'm not familiar with VAs laws. But I know in NY the inspection station tried to give me a hard time when I had xenon halogen bulbs in my tails for reverse. Saying they weren't white. So technically they shouldn't pass. I'd do a search on laws bc ny is a pain. No window tint, gotta have a front plate blah blah and we can do tail tint no problem

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went by 2 different shops today. I asked their inspector (neither which i knew personally) if my taillights would pass inspection in VA. One said no at first but, when my lights were on, he said it put out enough light that it would pass. the other said yes, straight up. they said F*** no to any headlight tint or any dark ass tint in the tail lights. or 20 bucks for him to "miss it" or whatever that means :lol:

anyways i dont have a inspection due till september but i know what shop im going to... :whistle:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts