Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love modifying my car . But i hate paying for that.
I do everything i can myself. I need an opinion from my fellow B5ers.
Should i do this myself?. Is it a PITA?
Who done it?

·
Registered
381 Posts
DON'T DO IT :shock:
I have no experience in this area, except to giggle and snicker every time I see some old Nissan or Honda running around with purple windows and HUGE bubbles. Some things are worth paying for, besides it shouldn't be more that $200-300.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some things areI worth paying for, besides it shouldn't be more that $200-300
I think 200-300 is a lot of money for that .
I'm willing to learn how to do it right, it can't be that hard to do it . can it

anyone else ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was quoted $200 from a tinter with a great reputation. Still haven't decided whether to tint.. but I consider that a good price. Again, keep in mind that I really don't know what I'm talking about here but I think by the time you buy the proper tools, film, and spend hours of your time... suddenly a couple hundred buck ain't bad, imo.

If you do go it alone, may the force be with you - and good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
20vvillian said:

Go for it! :lol:
MY POINT EXACTLY!! I find having the headliner flapping in the breeze is also a nice touch!

How about on the back window "In loving memory of.... yada yada" And I thought "Baby on Board" was stupid! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's definitely possible and not overly difficult. I watched the guy do my car the entire time and I'm pretty positive I could do a side window. The rear window would be rough, especially if you do it in one piece like my guy did.

Nevertheless, by the time you purchase a reputable film (Llumar, etc.), the adhesive solution, a high output hair dryer, the cleaning solution, masking tape, and numerous razors, you might as well pay the extra $100 to have a pro do it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Fabio, Do you want the front done like mine? I got it done for $185, w/o the fronts it's a little cheaper. I'm in support for a pro, never ONCE have I seen a good DIY window tint! :p
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
Some things areI worth paying for, besides it shouldn't be more that $200-300
I think 200-300 is a lot of money for that .
I'm willing to learn how to do it right, it can't be that hard to do it . can it

anyone else ?
I agree with you on this one. I am curious to see what others have to say on this one. Is there anyone out there that has actually done it on their own and had trouble? How hard can it really be? I was thinking of getting one of those pre cut kits off of ebay and they do use llumar for like $36. that is less that 1/4 of the lowest price I have been quoted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tinted my car in high school (17 years ago). It was a dodge colt hatchback. It turned out nice. No bubbles and looked good to the end. As I recall, the most difficult part was cutting the film to the right size. Also, the windows had to be really really clean. The colt wasn't bad, since most of the windows were really flat. Our back window might be a pain.

If you are patient and get the right tools (squeegie I believe), I'm sure you can do a good job. Let's face it, it can't be that difficult to become a "professional" tinter. If I'm going to tackle my timing belt next month, I sure ain't scared about tinting. And if you mess it up, you are out $35. I wasn't aware that I could purchase pre-cut film for our cars. If that is the case, I just might tint my Passat myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's not difficult but there is a learning curve. Try your first one on scap glass or your home window. Cleaning is criticle, razor blade and ammonia until it skreeks then a gentle hand on the plastic squeege. Be patient, gentle and cut big then trim to fit.

ps
get your film from a quality source, not your local cheapo parts supply but a good home Ace hardware or commercial window tint store.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
200-300 IS a lot... I got my car and my dads A6 done for 160, heavy tint on both, and they did a great job...

Excuse the SUV look... thats the best pic of my tint that I had, and it was before my drop :lol:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You could lways bring the tint to the GTG! Go to a tint shop, and ask them what they use, some tricks,and stuff to watch out for! :wink:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could lways bring the tint to the GTG! Go to a tint shop, and ask them what they use, some tricks,and stuff to watch out for!
That is a great idea . I have a piece of gilla fim here to improve my skills . i will get more info in how to do it right and by the time gets warm I will be " a professional window tinter "

Not just for the money . I wanna be able to look at my car and say i did it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sweet I should be at that GTG. I'll probably pick some up too. We can try to do a write up on it if it turns out right. IF you end up going to a tint shop and asking stuff. Ask what they think about that prre cut stuff.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i prefer to get it done by the professional. it only cost $155, and it has a lifetime warranty. also, i prefer a light tint in the front, and darker ones for the back window.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing