Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone that can help me find a reputable, warrantee'ing tint place around Owings Mills/ Pikesville Md, you can have my first born.
:crazy: :crazy:

I really just need to get the tint done as my ars burns every time i sit on the leatherette seats after sitting in the sun all day at work.
I know there are good shops all over, but I am looking for this area and the regionals don;t seem to ever be updated...

Also, any guys/gals in this area that are on here, let me know where you're at--- special insurance deals for dubbers...(I'm an allstate agent in Pikesville)

·
Registered
486 Posts
4mo4swartz,

I'm in Pikesville also (borderline Woodlawn and Lochearn). Welcome aboard.

I haven't tinted mine yet (3.5 years), but plan to do so soon.

Like you said, there are shops all over, however, you want to look for a few things:

1. High quality film (3M and Llumar are the best - I believe)
2. Do they use metalized film (metalized film resists fading and purpling). Only about $25 - $30 more than non-metalized but well worth it.
3. Lifetime guarantee on film

There's a place in Glen Burnie that I plan to use - its right near the Honda dealership on Ritchie Highway. I think the actual shop is on Rt. 3 business (which runs parallel to Ritchie Hwy) near 8th Avenue/ Rt. 176. They use 3M metalized tint and I was quoted about $175 (I can't remember the actual quote but it's in that ballpark) for my sedan. I don't know any one who has been tinted by them, but I found them in the yellow pages (advertised as 3M authorized dealer) and called them on the phone. I spoke to one of the installers and he seemed quite knowledgeable and very helpful.

I'm sure there are closer shops (like Liberty Road and Reisterstown Road) but I haven't researched them and they didn't advertise. I don't feel like calling or visiting everyone to get estimates and product info. The phone customer service in Glen Burnie was enough for me to at least give them a shot.

If you find a good tint shop closer to us, let me know. I'll try to find the name of the shop in Glen Burnie and post the name and phone number for you.

You could also call the local dealerships (Heritage, Russell, and Valley Motors) to see who they use for their customers. Often times customers want their cars tinted after they purchase and the dealers just send them to a tint shop.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lvdub-
thanks for the info. I have to stop into heritage tomorrow morning and get a rear door handle re-sprung, so maybe I will ask while I am there. I was surprised at the amount of shops that do no advertising! especially being in insurance where advertising is always key, it is strange to see nothing.

Let me know about HP and when you might be going. I was really looking for something closer as I live and work right in Pikesville. I also D&L tint in White Marsh is supposed to be pretty good. From the price quote of 175, HP seems to be very competitive with what I got from a few local shops that seemed less than interested in doing the job, and frankly, they will never get their hands on my car.

Keep me in the loop...btw what are you driving???

·
Registered
486 Posts
I drive a 2001 Indigo Blue GLX. Pretty much stock except for projector HIDs, Clear Corners and S2000 antenna.

Hey, when you get to Heritage ask them about their false tv advertisements. If you haven't noticed, their tv commercial features each car in the line starting as low as...$$$. Well, the first car shown is the Golf, however they are showing a picture of the Golf V not the current MKIV. The Golf V is not due out over here until MY 2006. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's out in Europe yet. I'm sure some folks have shown up looking for the futuristic Golf only to find the current version on the lots.

Back on topic...The HP price of $175 is for non-metalized. They charge $200 for the metalized film.

Your experience with a few shops is why I don't mess with them. They probably do a decent job, but they often act like they don't want to be bothered by you. I'll take my chances with someone who seems to want my business.

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Definitely get the tint jobs. You will be most satisfied with it. It is definitely worth the money. Get bronze (brown colored) window tinting if you have a green or gold passat. Gray colored window tinting looks better on other colors. Window tinting is the easiest, most satisfiying mod out there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.