Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

timming marks are off now and car runs better

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Christian P 
#1 ·
I have had a few threads on here. however this is something new.
alot of you know that I have complained with the gutlessness of my 00 passat.
timming marks were on but it sounded like timming was slow.
now timming marks are off and car runs way better it is 2 teeth off
crank mark on cam is 2 teeth off counter clockwise..
oh and I did the timming by the way. did not move by itself
the timming belt looks pretty new bought the car nov of 08
any ideas:icon_eek:

#2 ·
2 teeth off counter clockwise? Isn't that like realllly retarded? Mine was 1 tooth counter clockwise and when I installed the new belt last weekend I advanced the timing and now the timing is advanced 1 tooth and the car is a lot quicker...

I might be mixed up with my directions, though. But I'm pretty sure...

#15 ·
Delayed timing pushes the powerband up into the rev range where the turbocharger is doing its best work. I have absolutely no idea why.

That being said, it's advisable to use an adjustable timing gear instead of moving the belt, because at two teeth off when new, the timing will be more like four teeth off when the belt is old -- and that might be enough to cause valve damage.

#13 ·
Somebody work on the car at one point in time. Is the belt tight? What's the condition of the belt? Worn and or missing teeth are recipe for disaster.

#14 ·
belt looks kinda new and is tight everything in there looks gr8..
But I cannot help but wonder what if I was to move it another tooth..
when I did this I rolled it by hand before I started it to make sure nothing was hitting on the inside like valves on a piston..

#17 ·
I think the reason delaying it pushes the powerband up is because the piston makes more use of the combustion cycle before venting the remaining pressure. I could be wrong though. The K03 might wheeze above 4500rpm, but you should still get more power with delayed timing regardless of that, because the lower end of the engine's natural powerband will more closely align with the RPMs at which the turbo starts to make a difference.

I remember talking to my mechanic about it, and he said on an FI engine it makes almost no difference what the cam timing is, because the engine will get all the air it needs anyway. When I mentioned the bit about lengthening the combustion cycle, he looked at me like I had three heads.

Anyway, delayed cam timing would probably work even better if you could adjust the cam position sensor independently, to push the ignition timing back to where it should be.

#18 ·
I think delaying the exhaust valve opening is also part of it too. You get more work out of the expansion. But ultimately the turbo and the engine need to be tuned to work together -- you've got to match up the two pumps, or your results will be less than stellar. If, for example, you threw a gt42 onto the 1.8 and didn't change anything else, you would have a base engine that made peak power at 5000 rpm, and a turbo that didn't start making boost until 5500. It would be a disaster, especially going to the grocery store.

As far as fuel injection is concerned, the engines still work the same way. You can make as much power with a carburetor as you can with fuel injection, at least at one operating point. The advantage with fuel injection is that you can get the rest of the operating envelope as well. The cam timing will matter with both, it works the same way. The best, of course, is fully flexible valve timing, then you can get maximum torque everywhere.

The one from BMW is pretty good, as is Porsche's system. BMW actually throttles with the valves (they shut the lift down to almost nothing). The problem is that it is too responsive, so they need to soften the response to the pedal with drive by wire. It is also worth a few percent with fuel economy. Pretty neat.

#19 ·
well see I have the valve cover off due to leaky gasket around plugs
so got timing rite in reference to the lobes verses valves
then putting it back together I think I got the pin thats in the damber between the tensioner and braket. then when I pulled on allen wrench to tighten it I broke the pin off
so should go ahead and replace the belt as well??

#20 ·
So you timed it up on the crank and the timing mark, but when you were tightening the damper up a bolt snapped off? Or was it a pin somewhere? You might want to post up a picture to help us figure out what is what. Keep in mind, though, that everything is easy for the person who doesn't have to do it :).

#21 ·
I will try to post a pic but it is the pin that the tensioner sits on the tension damper has 3 bolts that mount it to the car. the inside of this has a pin that looks like a metal dow about 3-4 inches long that the metal part of the tensioner sits on. that pin broke into
and I have a atw and aug is different..

I also have quick dumb question
a b5.5 is that a half year
because I have a 00 but I guy asked me what part of 00 as in what month he said it was a split year thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.